I Forge Iron

Weather vane - how to?

plain ol Bill

I saw TJ's post about balancing a weather vane and thought I would ask a question I have puzzled over for a long time. How do you mount (or make) the portion that lets the top spin into the wind?? Is there a bearing involved? Two different sizes of material where one fits into the other or????
I've got lots of ideas, just don't know how to do this part and have never had a chance to look one over. Sure would appreciate pics or sketches on how to do this folks.

it can be simply a fine tapered point drawn on the end of the fixed piece that bottoms out in a drilled hole in the moving piece. The hole is bigger than all parts of the point in the hole, the only contact the point makes in the hole when it is not moving is at the bottom of the drilled hole.

I make mine a different way than most.
I use a 1/2"-13 hex nut welded to the fixed upright, with the flat of the nut welded to the side of the upright. I twist a 1/2" ob x 1" long or so nylon air line tube into the nut, and leave a little standing above the nut. I make the vane with a rod at the balance point that fits nicely, usually 1/4" od. and add a SS washer tacked on. In this way I have a lube free bearing, and I can paint it all and the wear from turning is nylon on SS, so no rust. I have a Man in the Moon, wearing a tophat, and the shop that spins nicely, and has been up there for years. No lube, no fuss no muss:)

One of the traditional methods is to use a piece of either solid round or pipe with a cap welded to the end and ground flat. This is the stanchion that is mounted (VERY) securely to the roof.

The wind vane is mounted on a piece of pipe that just slips over the solid rod and is about the same length.

Now, you mark the center of the stanchion/solid rod with a center punch, give it a good squirt of light wt. grease and place a ball bearing a bit smaller than the rod in the dimple and slip the vane's mounting pipe over it.

Frosty