I Forge Iron

Mild steel plate for anvil

When i was at the steel supply shop i seen in there cheap stuff a couple large chunks of plate probably 3.5x12x12 probably about 150lb. I was told mild steel but could it be used as a cheap hornless anvil? Would it be harder then the cheap cast harbor freight anvil i have?(hot steal can dent its face)

Chris

that could make a good anvil i would use its side and make a sturdy stand for it and i would hard face the side you would use and then grind it then sand it smooth and then you have a good home made anvil if you don't have the ablity to do the hard faceing you could check with a local constuction company they usally have someone or a welding service that does that stuff for them

When I first started to shoe horses (50 years ago), I aquired a piece of mild steel about 3-1/2 by 2-1/2 by 18 inches. I cut a horn on it with O/A, welded an I-beam base on it to bring the weight up around 50 pounds and for about 10 years of mostly cold shapeing horseshoes, it was my only anvil. It held up OK. I finally gave it to someone who was starting out.

As a side note - the mere thought today of cold shaping shoes on a 50 pounder makes my wrists hurt.

Edited by Jack Evers

I would go for it. I would have love to have something like that to start with.

On the topic of hard-facing; The main anvil used in the blacksmith shop at the state fair was just resurfaced by one of the old smiths with a whole lotta years of experience. I asked him what he used and he said 70-110. He said that heavy hammer edge hits may dent a little, but there is absolutely no shattering or chipping. Also, it is easier to grind, file and sand. FWIW