I Forge Iron

Weldiing help

ok i have a coal forge and new to welding. i can form stem and leaf, but welding them together is another story. i can forge weld 2 items of equal mass, but the smaller stem is giving trouble. i am useing borax and know i am at proper temp. i have a good laser term. What is the most common mistake made, that is most likely my problem.

thanks for your help!!!!!!

I find when welding two bits of unequal diameter that the smaller one really loses heat quickly and often gets below welding temp before the weld is made. I find that practicing the movements of removing them from the forge, lining them up, dropping the tongs and picking up the hammer while cold is a good drill. Then its a matter of doing it while hot and you will find you are much smoother and quicker which means the finer steel is still at welding temp when you are hitting it.

Make sense??

I've been wondering about that very thing. When welding two objects, even the same size, getting them hot enough at the same time and geting lined up seems like it would be very hard to me. I can see where wiring them together would be a good idea, but if the sizes are too different, it would seem like the smaller would burn before the heavier was hot enough.

You want the thicker piece in a slightly hotter part of the fire, and when you get to the anvil you'll want the thicker piece to be the one in contact with it. With experimentation the two pieces will get to welding heat at the same time. I often find that putting the thinner piece on top of the thicker one while slowly heating them in the fire until they are close to welding heat and then bringing them side by side works well.

Set up a block to use as an anvil right on the edge of the forge. Small parts lose heat rapidly and moving them to the floor anvil and getting them ready to hit can sometimes be self defeating. I have a small rr rail anvil right there on the forge and stick small pieces together right there. Also remember to use a smaller hammer.... it doesn't take a hard hit to start your weld.

Steve