I Forge Iron

Hello from Dundas, Ontario

jyatulis

Hi all,

I am new to the site. (My second try actually) New to blacksmithing. Took a 2 1/2 day course last summer and am hooked. Just finally got an anvil a couple of weeks ago, a nice 249# Peter Wright that I am quite pleased with. Just need to build that propane forge. I hope to pick up some tech help from the site.

cheers,

Jay

Welcome to the gang Jay, glad to have you.

What do you need to know about a propane forge? What size work do you want to do? How often? Where are you going to put it? There are other things to think about but that's a start.

Frosty

I will probably start with a small forge, single burner, probably square or a round tank style. I have seen some made with propane tank bodies with Kaowool linings and brick floors. I imagine it won't be my last forge so I think I will bite the bullet and just make a simple one to get going. My main interest in getting into smithing was making hardware for woodworking projects. I am also interested in getting some welding skills as well, which will be proven with the forge construction. My only real concern is fabricating a proper burner and not getting any flashback (or enter correct term here).

The likely place will be a small backyard shed type arrangment for 3 season use weather permitting. Just open the doors and get to work.

I will definitely check out the Blueprints section.

Thanks, Jay

Jay, good to see a fellow Canadian on!! Welcome to the site. The course you said you took last year, was that with David Robertson in Cargill? The burner construction is pretty simple, depending on what type of burner you want to use. There are tons of places on the net to find plans for burners. Good luck!

tech413,

Yes, I did take David's course. It was well done and reasonably priced. Beautiful country up there too. I will likely build the gas forge or a derivation of it from his plans e-book. I am also interested in building an air hammer, but don't want to go totally crazy in the first year. I am just going to start collecting metal....

cheers,

Jay