I Forge Iron

Sawyers anvil

I have a chance to purchace some large sawyers anvils and was wondering how easy they would be to resell if I was unhappy with them. They do not look like the cuttoff pyramid design that I am use too but rather large hardened ground slabs. The longest is 20" x 48" x 4" and the other is 16" x 36" x 6".

The are resonably priced and I think they would be handy in the shop for straitening, etc.

brad

I have a hammer identical to one of his and he actually offered to buy it. He has a very nice 2 1/2 lb sawyers hammer that I was going to photograph so I can copy it. When I pick up the anvils I will get some photos to post.

brad

I finally picked up one of my sawyers anvils. I also took several pictures of the other anvils and a sawyers hammer.

IMG_6227.JPG IMG_6228.JPG IMG_6232.JPG
865lb anvil

IMG_6230.JPG
Sawyers hammer

brad

If you post you photo to the gallery, then click on that photo to bring it up for viewing, then click on and copy the linked thumbnail, you can just paste that long linked thumbnail into your forum text where you want the thumbnail image to appear. When you click on the image in the forum it will then take you to the gallery and display your photo. The same linked thunbnail URL can be posted on other sites and have the viewer taken to the IForgeIron Gallery to view your photo.

Edited by NeatGuy

I belive they use them to set the kerf of the blade and to true or flatten blades. I will post an end view picture of the anvil so that the relief on the edges are more obvious. I also intend to clean the surface rust off and build a stand.

It is intersting to note that some of the other anvils had pins on the ends to be mounted in trunions. I believe that they have square edges on one side and beveled edges on the other.

brad

Hey Brad
I went back to the images and expanded them (yeah I know, I'm not the brightest bulb on the porch, my wife swears that in my case PhD, stands for plain highschool diploma) the groove/channel in the face is more along the lines of the ones I have seen, just never that shape.
Paul