I Forge Iron

Hello from Seattle

Barnaby

Hi, I'm just trying to get started in all this, with an eventual goal of making some knives. I have a couple local classes I'll be taking--an intro blacksmithing class next weekend, and a week long bladsmithing class later this spring.

I have most of the parts for assembling my freon tank forge, and just picked-up an anvil and a post vise this last weekend (both happened to to be listed on CL, been watching for reasonable deals). I'm an urban dweller, so it will all have to be drag out of the garage and around to the backyard when I go to use it.

I'm going to post some photos and questions about my anvil in the general forums.

Thanks,
Barnaby

Barnaby, welcome to Iforgeiron!

The blacksmithing and bladesmithing classes will definately improve the learning curve for you. Just seeing a working smith at a working forge will save you from much trial and error.

Check out the "Getting Started" and the "Lessons in Metalworking" sections on the opening page of IFI. Much good information there.

Enjoy!

I share your pain of being an urban dweller only I'm not exactly one. I live in the semi-boondocks but have a HOMA which make its seem like the city. Fix it up so that the only thing that needs to be moved is the forge and that to the drive way. Then the anvil and post vise can stay in the nice dry garage.:cool:

Welcome to our merry band Barnaby, good to have you.

You live in a good area for smithing, lots of pros close by.

If you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location we won't strain what few braincells we have left remembering where you live. It can really come in handy, especially if one of us old farts is traveling and needs a hot lunch or nap.

Frosty