I Forge Iron

Oxy Acetylene

I don't have my own gas axe and have been quoted the following prices. I would like to know what anybody thinks

Total cost would be $283. This includes:

Bottle rental $220 (refunded when I give the bottles back.
Valves, safety devices, regulatot hoses etc. $47
Bottle full of acetylene and one of oxygen total $16. ($3 for oxygen, $13 for acetylene).

I shan't be using it very much but it will be better than borrowing or asking for people to do cuts for me as a favour so I think I shall go ahead. I just wondered how it compares with prices in the west.

I have bought 2 COMPLETE toch sets, including bottles and carts, at garage sales in the past, gave $130.00 for one and $75.00 for the other. Both were Victor torches and gauges with cutting heads, extra cutting tips, and welding tips. The less expensive of the 2 was only 3-4 yrs old! I also had checked prior to these purchases and bottle rentals were $99.00 per year and you paid for gas used. In less than 4 years I could pay for a set and that is what I did. I found these 2 sets about 1yr AFTER I bought my bottles! :( I am in the oil and gas patch of East TEXAS and realize that welding equipment does come up for sale on occasion fairly reasonable.

As for your prices, if that is what it costs than I wouldn't think you have much choice, that is if you are set on leasing/purchasing.

I actually called a local gas and welding supply chain here in CT today. I'm looking for a cutting rig myself. They quoted me about 650 american out the door for everything - torch, regulator, tanks, hoses. This was based on 80 cubic ft. tanks. 450 for the tools, 100 each for the tanks and they'd fill them for free the first time.