I Forge Iron

New coal forge on the rise

element

Thanks, the flue is 12" and that hood works quite well too, not much ever escapes it's draft. My anvil is 347 lbs. I will be putting it onto a new block here at some point yet. The one that it is on is a bit small in diameter for it. I have been playing with the height of it some to find what works best for me. It is good now for heavy forging but a bit on the low side for lighter & finer work though. I think it is going to end up being about 2" higher than it is now. I don't want to bugger up a good block and end up to low. It seems no matter how many times you cut something it ends up too short.:confused:

Nail and glue up some plywood between the anvil and the stump? I thought the anvil surface should be at the height of your palm?

Yeah that would work if a guy did get it to low. I just want to get it right the first time if I can. As far as height goes, well, I have heard your knuckles with a loose fist, wrist height and palm height too. Now if you are forging a lot of heavy stock it seems that the knuckle height works well because you need the full swing to get enough power to forge it easier, but light work I would prefer it a little higher. I will start the new block off about 2" higher when I get around to doing it. Also the back 2 legs on my forge are adjustable for height so you can get it level in both directions, and 3 legs will not wobble on uneven floor either.

Yup i noticed those legs, you have more walking space around the forge.

Personally i think your forge is a blueprint.

Ps, it seems your going for another block of wood for your anvil, but maybe
you would like something ajustable? I seen some sweet 3 leg metal stands
with ajustable legs.

Yup i noticed those legs, you have more walking space around the forge.

Personally i think your forge is a blueprint.

Ps, it seems your going for another block of wood for your anvil, but maybe
you would like something ajustable? I seen some sweet 3 leg metal stands
with ajustable legs.

Thanks, It would probably take me almost as long to put that all in print as it did to build it. I may have to do that though sometime. I thought about a metal stand, but I feel that the block would be more stable as my floor is springy. My little shop is alot older than me.

SK, I like your forge. Nice size and a practical design. Does the chimney go straight through the roof or out the side wall?

Thanks. That was what I was trying to get when I built it. My chimney goes straight up through the peak of the roof. Figured it would have better draft, and I didn't feel like trying to build 90 degree bends into it, as I made the whole chimney too.

If your floor is springy then i think you (Probably) are waisting energy
through the floor. My buddy had the same problem because he is in
an older barn and the floor would vibrate when he hammered. So
what we did is we went and got a cemment block 2 feet by 2 feet by 12
inch thick. He cut a hole in the floor to mach the block and he set it
level on the ground or or an inch or 2 in the ground and voila. He estimates
he was loosing half the energy in the floor , But his floor was 2 by4 so if
you got 2 by 6 or 2 by 8 then youd loose a little less. My 3 cents.

Yeah true. I would be loosing some in the floor alright. If it shows to be too big of a problem I may open up a hole in the floor in the summer and pour a block of concrete for it to rest on. I would like to put up a new building for all of it if I could in a year or so. Been working on a tight budget with it all so far. I put a BIG bunch of time into getting the building so it was usable again but very little cash went into it. The size of my anvil helps though too.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pics Ian, I wish i had yours and buckwheats before starting..

I fired it today and man that super sucker hood sucks the smoke like a clock, even right on startup and if i dont crank the blower for 5 minutes it still works like a charm.
Tomorrow im building a heavy duty workbench out of wood to mount my post vise and a place to work.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the pics Ian, I wish i had yours and buckwheats before starting..

I fired it today and man that super sucker hood sucks the smoke like a clock, even right on startup and if i dont crank the blower for 5 minutes it still works like a charm.
Tomorrow im building a heavy duty workbench out of wood to mount my post vise and a place to work.

Glad to be of some help to you. I have the Super Sucker too (or close to it) and it works very well I think too. I have a pretty heavy workbench too. It works great too, there is not much concern with it moving around when you have to get a bit serious with something. I will have to get a couple photos of it up this weekend if I can for you.