I Forge Iron

New to the site

jb_hayseed

Hey everyone! My name is Jason and I am new to Blacksmithing in general. I recently bought a forge setup with an exhaust hood and Champion 400 hand crank blower and I picked up a small anvil with an extra horn and pritchel hole off of the side. ( ive been told its a carriage makers anvil, or a mouse hole anvil?) It cleaned up very nice with a wire brush and some elbow grease. I have come across a few decent pairs of tongs and have modifided them to work on the small projects ive tried, which include small hooks with rat tail ends or twists. I made a nail heading tool after watching an experienced smith at the farmers museum bang nails out like nothing. I soon found out that it wasnt too easy at first. I think I made 15 or so before i made a good one!! hahaha. I am very interested in learning all I can about smithing so any info or comments are appreciated. Thanks

Welcome hayseed,

You'll find smiths of every experience level here. To give you fair warning, you might want to pack a lunch and bring along a tall cold drink before you start digging into this site very far... that warning was given to me and all I can say is I paced myself...

Look forward to seeing you around IFI.
James