I Forge Iron

Vulcan anvils

I have a 280 pounder that my wife gave me about 20 years ago. It had been used as a rest for oxygen/acetylene cutting and the edges were trashed. I built them up with 7018 rod and it's served me well since. Somewhat soft, but good for what I do. I'm more farrier than blacksmith so my smaller truck anvil gets a bit more use than the big shop anvil.

i have a 70 lb its great, some mean person used it to cut on alot, as in a few hundered cuts in the face, i tigged welded some tool still all over the cuts one corner that was chiped, has been a great quiet anvil ever sence, being so little i keep it realy high, for close up small work so i dont have to bend over

Any cast anvil, regardless of make, that has survived any appreciable number of years of use, is a good anvil. Because the quality of castings can vary even within the same pour, I would welcome any anvil that is in good shape and is older. I actually had a new anvil crumble below my strikes while doing a demonstration at a high school, the 100+ year old Arm & Hammer that I used right after still has clean edges!

I have a 200lb Vulcan anvil that I bought about 5 years ago. I came off a US Navy ship, and was in very good shape. The only disappointment was the chisel marks on the face. I TIG welded some of the deeper ones with 4130 filler rod. The minor ones that are left are not big enough to wreck my work, as I like my work to look like it is hand made.:D It has been a very good anvil and seems to have a similar rebound as my 165lb Trenton anvil. One of the properties of cast iron is that it is sound deadening, they will not ring like a forged anvil. Any anvil that you look at should be tested for rebound before you buy it, regardless of brand.

• 2 months later...