I Forge Iron

Forg welding the big ring video

There's another one shot at the same time, in which a dozen or so guys maneuver (using a crane) and forge a truly HUGE chunk of steel under what must be at least a 50 ton hammer. Absolutely no safety gear in evidence, and I can only imagine the radiant heat coming off that steel. It's very impressive, but also very scary.

The "flat" bars, as they appear to be, are not really flat. The first one used is actually a round bar. The next ones are either "V" shaped or 1/4 round bars, I can't tell for sure in the video, and are referred to as "necking down" tools. They are used to create a shoulder, either sharp or rounded, to create a transition between a larger section of the forging and a smaller section without a taper in the forging.At the steelplant were I took my apprenticeship we used to use them all the time. One job we used to do was make "LARGE" square headed bolts for mill stands. They would have a six inch square head and a three or four inch round section that was threaded. We used the "necking down tools (1/4 round) to form the square shoulder on the bolt head before drawing out the round section to size. In the case of a bolt the tools were used on all four sides of the billet. We also used them when forging large clevises to leave a larger section of billet to form the eye of the clevis with a smaller section of round in between the eyes.

Terry