I Forge Iron

New gear and a question.

I picked up two things off ebay. A Buff co. blower for $50 and a 100lb Trenton for $275. The anvils pretty cool. Hopefully for Xmas I'll get my copy of Anvils in America so I can determine its age. There's a small chip in the face and on the far edge with the horn to the left. But nothing I shouldn't be able to work around. It looks like someone cut on the face too.

The blower, once lubed, spins nicely. However the crank handle was rusted into the collar and counter weight. It was just about rusted through so i broke the handle off. I soaked the collar in Vinegar, then drilled larger and larger holes until I was able to mash and drive out the remaining pieces. I have to do the counter weight next. My question is how do these blower usually mount to a base. I've seen great pictures of champs but I haven't found anything good for the buff co. I was thinking a pipe through the two rings since one has a threaded hole. Any thoughts/pics would be greatly appreciated. Here's some pics. Thanks, Rob.

Blower mount:
mounting.jpg

Collar:
crank_collar.jpg

Critters:
critters.jpg

Edited by piglet_74

JWB Thanks for the link. I thinking I'll have to do something similar. Do both bolts thread in or does one go all the way through just to hold the position?

Mulciber, I became addicted to looking at anvils on line. not sure why. My Gfs kid showed me something where ms live.com would give you 25% back on any buy it nows on ebay. Plus when it got here, there was an envelope from the guy who shipped it with $25. UPS gave him a break on the shipping so he sent it to me. ebay's mikesblacksmithshop. So it was basically free shipping otherwise I would still be using the RR track. That may become a treadle hammer (sp?)