I Forge Iron

6 Speed Jalopy Velocipede

I was asked in my previous post if the license plates with my deer rack were from my velocipede. You bet they are. Here are some pics of it. It was built at my shop 2 summers ago. Currently it is at our County Ag Museum. It's a fun conversation piece. Since these photos were taken white wall tires were added that made it look better and a large stick shifter with a hickory handle replaced the handlebar shifter. I get slack time at the shop and then I like to make big boy toys.

9826.attach

9827.attach

9828.attach

This has been one of those things on my list to build for some time now.
Are the front tie rods and such off a riding mower?
How did you build the rear axle or is it off a trike? Differential?
How is the braking with brakes on the back only? I would guess you could make a tractor corner if you used just one brake?
Dimensions?
Weight?
Blue print?

Overall it's great, the forged antler "hood" embellishment really sets it off too!

I basically built it from Junk I had laying around. I have been repairing bicycles for 26 years and believe me, my barn is full of goodies. The front end spindles and so forth I forged. The rear gear cluster is from an 18 speed mountain bike as well as the rear derailleur which moves the chain from gear to gear. Only one rear wheel drives. The axle moves inside of a pipe housing.
The brakes are bicycle caliper brakes. As far as a blue print, I have nothing. I started this with an idea in my head and had nothing written down. The wheels all had bad hubs in them. I knocked out the bearing cups and found some wheelbarrow type bearings that just fit into the hubs. I secured them with some JB Weld. I hope some of this info is usefull for you.

That is kind of the approach I have in mind (junk in jalopy out) I have been eyeing an old lawn mower front end for the tie rod system, I had a trike that I was going to hack up but my father in law wanted it in trade for a brush hog I wanted (good deal!) So I haven't settled on the rear end build. I have some 2" square tube laid aside and some angle iron as well. I like the tractor seat, it's my style! I had thought about making a recombent style seat for mine the idea of layin' back while ya peddle does sound nice.
I suppose my biggest thing is time and gumshin!

The recumbents are nice. My second pedal unit was a three wheeled chopper with the same 6 speed setup but the seating was designed as a semi-recumbent. I could pedal that one around all day. The 3rd one I made was a 2 wheel 3-speed full recumbent. It was a long nasty handling unit. It was comfortable, but I had to acquire a certain knack to be able to handle it. My fourth one never left the idea stage. My wife did not want me to make my own unicycle for fear of me seriously hurting myself. I never tried to ride one, but if I would have built one, you can be sure I would have tried my best to master it.

A true steamer that would be off the hook!!!
As well as cool blacksmith challenge, either way that thing is neat!
Check local regulations before thinking about steam power. Here in VA even small boilers are required to be registered, inspected yearly (at your expense), and can only be worked on by a certified boiler mechanic. Then there's the issue of registration, tags, insurance, etc for a powered vehicle.

I guess the 'chopper' bikes and recumbents are cool until you come to a hill or a kid on a regular bike blows past you... there's nothing like being able to put your weight on the pedals of a light, responsive bike. ;)

Good Luck!

(edit) Here's one I put together a few years back, it's from about (as near as I can figure) '58, a Rollfast, which I picked up for $35. I learned to ride on a hand-me-down girl's Rollfast in the '60s. I used a two-speed rear hub and high pressure tires on alloy rims with a 3 leading, 3 trailing spoke pattern. One day I may paint it, but kids still think it's cool, and it gets down the road pretty good.

9904.attach

9905.attach

Edited by BeaverDamForge

We have all kinds of regulations here in Pa to for steam vessels. I myself have no plans to mess with steam. Some previous posts were done in fun by other members about a steamer. If a kid passes me out going up a hill on a mass produced bicycle, no problem. If a kid would pass me out with a pedal unit he made himself from a junk pile, I would be disturbed and would have to know how he made it. Either way, I'll get to the top of the hill and the nice thing about that, I did it my way. Believe it or not, with a simple 6 speed setup, those things don't do that bad on a hill. Not a contender for the Tour de France, but but a winner when it comes to fun and comfort.

See, it all depends on how you define fun and comfort... for me fun is being two hills away when you make it to the top of the first one, comfort is my legs not aching from having to haul excess weight around. :D

The bike I posted pics of isn't the epitome of either, just "my way" of building a bike path cruiser.

Sorry for disrupting your thread, last post. :)

Good Luck!