I Forge Iron

Forging Hammers

I now have access to a welder, and want to finally get started making hammers. However, I ama one-man operation, all hand tools. So I was thinking about making a hammer jig like the one Rich (rthibeau) has for his fly-press. It'll a gullitine type contraption, and will have the bolts on the bottom to keep the hammer head in place. Then, I will have inserts for the jig. Three slits. I will then punch and drift by hand. I'll also have a sacrificial drift that will be used for flattening the buldge. The welder is to weld up the jig. This jig will just drop in hardy hole, I'll through the slit in. Heat the head, throw the head in, and start pounding. Now, any ideas or things to do or not to do with this jig?

Edited by m_brothers

I bought myself a fly press when I set up new workshop with lots of plans in mind for its use (I've not got it up onto a stand yet though). One thing I thought about was for punching holes in axes and hammers :) Being new to fly presses though I've not thought about the tooling.

I don't suppose you've got a link to the punch jig you mention? I can't find it anywhere!

Nope Alwin, I'm not looking for that. But thanks anyways. But I just need suggestions for how to go about making my jig, I have a general idea, but want any hints or pointers first. OR NOT TO DOs.

BTW, this is the BP: http://www.iforgeiron.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=105:bp1003-&catid=29:blueprints-1000&Itemid=26

Yuo forgot the linky. Lol. :)

Edited by m_brothers

Dave Budd: http://www.iforgeiron.com/Blueprints1000/BP1003hammer_eye/DSCF0149.JPG

http://www.iforgeiron.com/gallery/data/645/medium/PunchingHammerEye.JPG

The first link is to Hofi's jig in BP 1003, he uses it in a multi-ton big press. The second link is the jig I made for my flypress.....not as heavy duty or intricate, but functional for a flypress.

John: I don't see why it wouldn't be worth the effort to weld the jig up and see how it goes. All you need is something to hold the hammer blank in place while a slitter/punch/etc is pounded in to it. And to hold the slitter as well. A guillotine(sp?) tool thingy sounds interesting......make it heavy duty and weld it good.

Edited by rthibeau
clarification

Have you considered punching the eye by hand and foregoing the jig and press?

If you are going to use a press, make sure that the plate that the jig/tooling is welded to is VERY sturdy - I'm thinking 2 inches plus. I know that 1 1/4 inch plate will flex.

I recently tooled up a friend of mine who has symptoms resembling Parkinson's - trembles!

He wanted to make hammers so we mounted a slot punch into his #5 Fly press. The receiver/stripper combo was welded to a 1 1/4 inch thick plate. and secured to the base of the press.

We were going through 1 inch stock from a gas forge in 7 bumps. I was surprised at how much the base plate flexed. Also, the tool carrier at the bottom of the screw thread moved too much. It was too far out of the ways or guides. We moved up to 3 inch thick material to do two things

1. Reduce the flex AND
2. Place the tool carrier up into the guides to prevent sideways movement.