I Forge Iron

Air Cylinder Source Needed

Hey Group,

I'm preparing to build a Kinyon style hammer and am having trouble finding a source for an air cylinder - 1.5 - 2.0 inch bore, 8 to 10 inch stroke with 3/8 or 1/2 inch NPT ports with a decent mounting scheme would be the goal.

I have been through McMaster Carr and Grainger with little success - all ports are 1/4 in these bore sizes. I have searched the eBay world with limited hits and mostly one off various cylinders.

It seems to me that there has to be a good one stop shopping dealer of all things Pnuematic that should be able to supply just about everything needed but I just can't find one.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction.

Thanks in Advance,
Woodeye

Woodeye,

I know you spec'd a pneumatic cylinder in your post, but have you considered using a hydraulic instead. Most hydraulic cylinders are rated at 2000+ psi, so they should be able to handle a few hundred psi of air pressure easily. You might need to consider some kind of oiler set-up to keep the seals on internals in good shape. Also I have found that, generally, hydraulic cylinders of a given size have larger ports than a similar sized air cylinder, equaling more airflow. Haven't checked the price on pneumatics, but a hydraulic cylinder to your spec'd size runs about $100 at Tractor Supply.

Just a few thoughts, as I am planning on using a hydraulic cylinder in place of a pneumatic if I ever get around to building an air hammer.

-Aaron @ the SCF

Thanks for the feedback Aaron - I have given the concept of an hydraulic cylinder some thought. I checked the local TSC. The smallest cylinder was 2.5 in bore with a 12 inch stroke at about $90. Not a bad price but I am trying to keep the size down at least on this hammer to minimize the air volume needed. I am sure that other TSC stores may have what I am looking for and agree with the concept of using an hydraulic cylinder. The mounting might be a bit of a challenge though.

I checked out the Teco site and have spec'ed out a cylinder (I think as there are a zillion options) that seems to meet my needs. If I have time I am going to give them a call and get a price - I'll update with what I find. They do seem to carry the full line of pnuematic supplies but I am going to campare with McMaster with the 10% ABANA discount.

Woodeye

• 3 months later...

Hello
After you call and check, give me a call. I have four (4) SMC cylinders that look new.
The numbers are NCDA1B200-1600 maximum pressure 250 psi. 12 inch stroke
threaded end about 1/2 inch rod . I ask the same question just a little while ago.
Got no response , but I thought I would share what I have collected. I have valves
I have sensors. Now if I could get someone to help me fine tune the piping that would
be helpful. I was going to wait and take these to Madison, but if someone wants
I have a few extras.

I'll go up in my attic this weekend and look for mine. I built one Kinyon hammer for the shop where I was the blacksmith at. (my elbows got tired of all the swinging)... and bought another cylinder, valves, etc. for a hammer I was going to build for my shop. Built the base, bought a huge 10" cylinder of solid steel for the anvil... and never quite finished the project. Ended up buying a rebuilt Little Giant 50... and then on to Anyangs. I will look to see what parts I have and will post them to this site. It has been years ago, and I just put the parts in the attic and forgot about them. Will let you know.

I also built a "torchmate" for a plasma cutter... was going to go into plasma art, but took a right turn when I started blacksmithing. Anybody interested in a Torchmate? James