I Forge Iron

Too late for a leaf spring?

Hello fellow smiths, I need to know whether a leaf spring has sort of "expired". I found a really good one, the perfect width and perfect thickness. But...its all rusted out, I'm talking serious rust, its pretty full of dents too. Will peening solve it? Or smack it around some with a regular hammer? Thanks guys! Oh wait, hang on. Could I use a piece of car tire to make a scale handle knife? I mean they are pretty anti-slipping and will look pretty cool. Any ideas? Thanks again!

Well, if there's really that much rust it won't be the thickness you are looking at once you finish getting the rust off. Unless the rust is extreme you can just throw it in the forge and the rust will come off with the scale.

As for a car tire handle, if you can deal with the steel belting then it would probably work ok. You would probably be better off going and getting something like a pneumatic dolly tire and using that instead since it doesn't have any belt in it.

You could use Corian or one of the other brands of solid surface counter top material. I use that for anything I make that will come into contact with food. Its anti-microbial, and it doesn't crack or split. Its really easy to work with and you can get some pretty neet colours/patterns. It also goes together almost seamlessly with the epoxy stuff that comes with it. I build cabinets and countertops on the side, so I have a relatively endless supply of the stuff. If you want to pay for the shipping, I could ship you some. You might even be able to find a cabinet shop in your area that would let you dumpster dive for their scraps. Huge chunks of usable stuff get tossed on each project, cuz they're not big enough for a counter top. I hate waste! ;)
Mickey

Your biggest concern will be the possibility of metal fatigue and/or cracks in the used/rusty spring. Professional smiths over the years have said many times that they will make tooling for themselves out of used springs, but that they would not utilize used springs for anything that they make for a customer because of the liability of the knife or tool breaking.

Unless you have an incredible insurance policy, you are not likely protected from liability on those knives breaking, especially if you use used spring/steel.

In no way would I utilize used springs to make knives for sale, especially knifes that were going to be used hard by a chef!