I Forge Iron

stryder

Hello All; i spent an hour reading posts here and am humbled by the vast amount of knowledge available, by so many skilled craftsmen, and ladies! Thanks! My name is george, I live in Tunas, Missouri. we like to float the rivers, fish, camp, garden, and am starting to expand my love of knives into making them from scratch, instead of using the pre made blades available. Althugh there is nothing wrong with these blades. I made a flint striker on a forge ( early 80's at missouri town) with the help of the blacksmith. was hooked. it took a while but have finally started to gather tools needed to forge and hammer. still need a real anvil but have aquired a forge, have a peice of rail iron, various hammers, a pair of tongs,etc. also recieved my grandfathers saw sharpening equipment so am just about set to begin with. I look forward to try to learn as much as I can with as few Stupid questions as possible!! Thanks for your patience and information!! Have a great day! George

If your question is asked in the quest for knowledge it is never stupid. Those more experienced will provide an answer, or several answers. Try all the ways suggested to solve the problem, and decide which works best for you in your situation. This is a blacksmithing forum, but I would imagine that you could ask questions on many different subjects and still get an answer. The overall knowledge base of the folks here us unbelievable.

STRYDER-- There are quite a number of us on this board that make knives. If we can answer your questions, we will do so gladly. Just pass your knowledge on to us when you can answer.

If you are going to use the rail for an anvil, turn it up on end and weld a 1"X4 or 5" plate on the end of it. That is plenty big enough for a blade anvil and will not be springy.

Welcome and good luck.

Chuck Bennett