I Forge Iron

Hi

Square Nail

Howdy all, Just wanted to introduce myself and ask a question or two. I recently retired and moved to a little town in the extreme Northeast corner of Oregon Where I intend to create horse shoe art as somthing to keep me occupied.
However, I recently inherited a complete blacksmith forge, tools and anvil from my father in law after he passed. We had played a few times with it before he died but I didn't get the opportunity to get all the details from him on what He had. How do I find out how old my anvil and forge are. The anvil is a Arm and Hammer stamped with the Arm and Hammer logo on the side and Wrought Iron underneath the logo. There is 191 stamped below the this.
It has a 1" hardie hole and 9/16 pritchel.
The forge is about 2' by 3' with a buffalo hand crank blower.
Any info would be greatly apreciated

Welcome aboard Squarenail.

I must say I haven't had quite that quick a yo yo ride in a while. Nice to meet ya.

Someone will be along presently to ID your anvil to a near faretheewell, I don't have the book.

Sounds like you have a fair set up already, too bad you weren't able to get with your Father in law more often but I know how that goes, there just isn't enough time to do everything.

Do you plan on using it or letting it go?

Frosty

There's a thread here about building a coal supplier list, I'd look there.

Around here, if you want to burn coal you drive about 30 miles and spend an afternoon digging and packing. I run propane and will eventually build a retort to make charcoal.

Frosty

Hi squarenail DONT get rid of anything yet (wait until you know for sure what you want or you may regret getting rid of it)
Start looking for other people around your area who do blacksmithing
check out the blueprints here & the gallerys for ideas.
youtubes has some videos of blacksmithing might help you also
but just enjoy the pleasure of heating steel till it glows & shape it how you want it

Edited by pjh66