I Forge Iron

Sea creature fountain

This is my sea themed foutain. It consist of 3 tube sea enenemies and 1 clam at the bottom. Unfortunatly the finish isnt lasting and its begining to rust, so this peice gets to stay part of my personal collection. Next time I am going to be using copper or aluminium for a fountain regular carbon steel isn't cutting it even with several coats of paint.

This fountain has that spray on stone as its final coat.

9634.attach

You have an artistic gift. Perhaps bronze would be the proper medium for your outstanding work. Seriously, if I had your talent, I'd try and hook-up with some foundry people and explore my options. Cast bronze, or aluminum would be cool, but just think of the patinas you could develop with bronze.

I like!

Thanks for the very nice words. If you dont know my background im 19 years old and have been blacksmithing since I was about 14. I am trying to work full time but it is becoming a challenge. I am looking into doing retail instead of custom work. I was doing fine with custom work but felt limited and decided to start focusing on what I wanted to create. Unfortunalty my wallet has not been agreeing with the decision. I would apreciate any advise anyone has to offer on getting into selling more of my work.

Thank you

I dont think powder coating would hold up as well as plating - I hear once the plastic surface is knicked and moisture gets in, it quickly spreads corrosion underneath.

Of course, plating could have similar problems, just take longer to manifest.

If you had a buyer willing to pay the cost for plating, it would be worth it; but not for your private collection.

AWSOME WORK, anyhow!