I Forge Iron

Posting a Blueprint

Okay, well I guess I have to drag the soapbox that jayco was using in the Forum Feedback over here to the Blacksmith forum and make a little use of it. I had written a note to Glenn asking about how to post a blueprint. Richard (rthibeau) was kind enough to post a quick response on how to do so.
HOWEVER, the reason for the soapbox speech isn't to complain about an excellent response, but having to do with what he told me after his instructions. It would seem that they are in dire need of a LOT more submissions for blueprints.It seems that only about 1% of the members (please check out the appropriate posts) registered to this forum are actually submitting material for prints. I,m sure that the number of members who view these prints is closer to 100%.Maybe it,s time for more of us to step up and make our own submissions. In the short time that I have been a member on this site I have seen plenty of different projects shown in the different forums just as regular postings. There are many enquiries from other members asking how such and such was done in the project. That makes the project a perfect candidate for a blueprint!
I am sure many of us feel that we are not good enough at our work to present it as a blueprint but from what I have seen in the forums that is far from the truth.There was a fellow who used to come in to the plant were I worked to check all the instrumentation for our forging furnaces, and the heat treat furnaces that I used. Every time he came in he would stop by my work area and watch me work.One time when I had just finished drawing out the reins on a pair of tongs I was making he walked up to me and said," I love to watch what you do.It is really interesting the way you make something out of nothing." And that I think, sums up what we do very nicely.
It is what we all do, from novice to master. We take a piece of plain metal and turn it into something in our own way and THAT is the basic idea of the blueprint.It gives beginners a starting point,and maybe a new way of doing something for others. It is a chance for all of us to share what we do and to learn from others.
There are thousands of pictures in the member galleries which means there are thousands of potential blueprints. Pictures are great, but pictures with how to instructions are even better. I, for one am going to try and practise what I have just preached, and hope that many more of you will also. This is probably the best forum on the net right now and the people that bring it to us need our help, so come on guys... LETS ALL PITCH IN:D.
Ok...nuff said. I humbly step down off the soapbox and pass it on.

Terry

My drawing ability is pretty bad. Can one submit pictures with explanations of how it was made, or must it be a set of drawings?

I find the implications of the term blueprint a bit intimidating.

Maybe others would also find themselves less reluctant to post how-to stuff if the label was changed to something like "Projects - How to make them".

Edited by UnicornForge

Unicorn Forge,
There are blueprints on how to make blueprints. If you go to the top of this page and click on blueprints it will take you to the blueprint index. Take the time to look through them. Most are photo's and words not drawings. If I had to draw the ones I have done they probably wouldn't be there (I'm not a sketch artist).
If you look through them you will notice some are real short and some are real long. Take whatever time you need to describe what you are doing.
I have not submitted any recently becuse I don't see them getting posted anymore. They seem to have lost 300 or so. once I see them getting posted again I will start submitting them again. At the rate they say they are doing them every week it's no wonder they're behind. It would be great to get them posted and if there's anything I or we can do to help make that happen let us know Glenn. I know we are all thirsting for the knowledge contained in those un posted blueprints

John

Blueprints, you have to call them something so why not Blueprints. You use a blueprint to build a building, machine, highway, and many other things, so IForgeIron uses the term Blueprint meaning a how to tutorial, or an instruction go-by to use to build the project.

Drawings, There are very few Blueprints that consist only of drawings. Some people can look at a line drawing and understand what is needed. Some people can look at a photograph and understand better what is being done as the photograph is the way they see it if they were there watching. Some people require text to explain the details. The Blueprints try to utilize all three to get in information in an understandable form.

IForgeIron is having a issues with getting the Blueprints posted. They are all on file, the problem is getting them in a viewable form where all the membership can view them. We have been and are continuing to work on the problem. It will be solved, we just have not found the answer yet.

As to the subject of a Blueprint.
Find something you do and show us how. If you can draw, sketch it up. If you can use a camera, photograph it. If you can write a detailed explanation of the process, use text. It is best to use all three so if there is any confusion on one method, the viewer can switch to one of the other two methods to figure things out. Contact me and I will give you information as to the format needed and where to submit the material. We assemble it here and return it to you for approval or changes. We want you to look good when it is presented so we try to fix all the problems before hand.

The beauty of the blueprints is that each new blueprint gets a new number. You are NOT in competition with anyone, it is your way of doing that technique or project. If you make a scroll, there are 10 (or so) different blueprints on how to make a scroll. Each works for the individual that submitted that blueprint. To the new guy, try all 10 methods and one will work for you, and you have 9 second best ways available if you need them. If there is only one Blueprint on the subject, that is the only way to make that project. My point is that we need to start at the beginning BP0001 and show your method of doing the same thing. Give the viewer a second way how to do something. Blueprints are not a closed subject, they are a listing of how many different ways it can be done.

Many people get intimidated by thinking they are not a good enough smith to submit a blueprint. That is not true. You got the job done, your way worked for you. We want to know how you did it and how you got it to work for you. The Blueprint does NOT have to be a major project, although we encourage those type blueprints. It can be as simple as BP0199 Free Storage Containers. They are useful, free, and go a long way in making your life easier in the shop.

As to Blueprint Submissions
IForgeIron presents 2 Blueprints each week, and more if we have the material. We presented 5 blueprints last Tuesday. At 2 Blueprints a week that is over 100 how-to tutorials a year. That requires assistance from everyone to keep the information flowing. Add a third, forth, or even a fifth Blueprint each week and it multiplies the need for material.

The Blueprints are easy to make, it is just presenting what you do now in a form others can use to make the same project or use the same technique. YOU already have done it, you just need to show us how to do the same thing.

Best I can recommend is that you try making a single blueprint, on a subject of your choice. We correct any errors, we make suggestions, we review the submission so the final blueprint is understandable to others. Each step of the way you are in the information loop, and can make any changes or additions you like. We want you to succeed and what you to look good when the Blueprint is presented to the viewers. Besides Blueprints are fun to make, and the more you make the easier they are to make.