I Forge Iron

It's what we do!

100_1357.JPG[100_1367.JPG
100_1359.JPG100_1361.JPG

Well I got an order for another set of fireplace tools the other day. Got all the tools made and went to make the stand.Of course I thought I had just what I needed for the centre post, that is until I looked at my stock!
Well as usual the old memory ain't what she used to be as I found that the nice long piece of 1/2 in sq. is now just some left over pieces, none of which was long enough by itself to make the post I needed.Time to get the thinking cap on and look and see what I did have on hand.Had some 1/4 in. round stock and two pieces of 1/2in sq about twenty in. long.
Took the two pieces of 1/2 in and ground down about an inch of one end to about 1/4 in rd. Took four lengths of 1/4 in round stock, about 7 in. long, and welded them in between the ends of the 1/2 in sq. Now I have a centre post long enough and a nice deorative basket twist in the middle!
The other two thumbs are showing the hanger for the tools. It is made from a scrap piece of 1/4 in plate. The pattern is laid out on the plate and then cut with a torch by hand. A little grinding to fine tune a bit, the twist the hooks 90 degrees, punch a half in sq hole in the middle to fit the centre post and it's almost done.Just have to come up with a suitable idea for the base and some type of handle for the top and it will be done!
Still have about seven weeks till Christmas so I should be able to have SOMETHING figured out by then....LOL

Terry

It is such a good feeling to know that you go through the same thoughts and trials that I find myself in, you appear to be better at solving problems though. That was a cool solution. For the base, May I make a suggestion? I just tried something, and wonder if it would work on a larger scale. Try some 1/2 inch plate, say about 6X6 or 8X8, groove the back side corner to corner, about 3/4 the way through the plate, then take a punch, back it in a block, heat it and sink it, the piece will collapse into a pyramid, I just did it with a small piece, and it worked perfectly, hopefully the picture will post so you can see what I'm talking about, if you decide to try it, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...