I Forge Iron

smelting bombs into implements

MAG-PO

I work for an NGO (mines advisory group - MAG | Mines Advisory Group) in Vietnam that is involved in removing and destroying bombs dropped by the US during the Vietnam War.

Currently we destroy the bombs in controlled explosions, however, we have access to technology that will turn the bombs into free from explosive scrap metal. I am wanting to turn this scrap metal into items such as hoes etc, to be used by the local populace, which will be made as part of a vocational training course.

As my organisation's skills lie in destroying bombs, we do not have the techinical capacity to turn bombs into useful implements. I was hoping someone could advise on a low tech, relatively cheap way of smelting high quality steel to pour into cast molds. Alternatively there may another method of getting the end result that I am unaware of.

Thanks.

David J. Gingery Publishing, LLC
has books on smelting steel or aluminum. There are books on making the machinery to machine metals. My brother got some of the books and tapes and is excited about getting into it.
A lot of the stuff is based on 1890s technology, so it is transferfable to the conditions you are working under. the metal working lathe built itself, with just an old drill to start.

Others may give other ideas on what to do.
Good luck.

Hi there Mag, sounds like you're doing a worthwhile job.

The first thing you'll need to do is to determine exactly what the bomb casings are made from -- whether it's cast iron, mild steel, high-carbon steel etc. You might be able to get this from a military historian, the USAF, someone local to you who knows the difference, or you might get some luck talking about testing with us. I know that many anti-personnel explosive devices used to be made form cast iron, since it is a cheap material which shatters easily (thus making some 'useful' shrapnel).

If it's cast iron, your best bet is to sell it for scrapmetal, and buy tools with the proceeds. Cast iron is an alloy of iron and between 2.2 and 4% by weight of carbon. It melts at a temperature which makes it feasible to cast with without sophisticated methods or equipment, but is impossible to forge, and makes for fairly brittle items. Thus it is unsuitable for making most tools from.

Mild steel or high carbon steel is an alloy of iron and between 0.2 and 2.2% carbon by weight. This is probably the most useful range of iron alloys you can have, since it can be tough, springy, hard, soft or any combination of these depending upon the heat-treatment. It can also be forged by hand with some very simple techniques and tools.

Keep up the good work, and I look forward to hearing from you again!

P.s. just to clarify a technical point, smelting is the production of metal from its ore (rock), whereas in this case melting might be called for. It may sound like a pedantic point but there is a crucial difference which may alter your chances of finding useful information.

Edited by matt87

Melting steel is not an easy process usually require much better refractories than can be found "low tech". Huntsman, who developed this technology in the west had great difficulties with refractories.

Melting cast iron can be done fairly easily and low tech using a cupola and casting it can be done low tech as well.

If possible can any of it be salvaged undetonated or in larger shards? If so the UN FAO has a series of manuals out on blacksmithing that would be very usefull on how to make it into locally usable tools.

I would offer from Military experience and from years working in industrial forge shops the following;
1. Artillery shells are forged steel, of fairly high carbon, heat treated to shatter. If the larger shards of artillery sheels can be salvaged, and are not cracked too badly would indeed make good tools. If the shells were to have the fuze unscrewed, then the explosive could be burned out and the entire casing recovered. Be aware that dud artillery shells are usually VERY VERY unstable and should never be handled. The fuzes are the same and even more unstable. The burnout would be suggested only for a stockpile of unfired shells. These should probably be found with a blank cap screwed into the fuze well, or a lifting eye for the bigger projo's
The standard GP bombs are usually welded steel I think. These usually have both nose and tail fuses and I would not handle them either.
I am unsure how you intend to remove the fill and fuzes from unexploded bombs but it is not something I would try.