I Forge Iron

belt drive blower question

Jason D

I am trying put together an old forge that was my grandfathers. I am trying to figure out what type of belt to use for the blower. It is driven by a wheel approx 22" dia. mounted to the stand. Can anyone assist a man just trying to get smithin?

Thanks
Jason D.

First you need to measure what size belt you will need. Take a string and wrap it around the flywheel to your blower and then back. If you have an adjustable flywheel to set the tension, make sure you put the flywheel where you want it.

As for belts, they can be leather or the material used for machinery drive belts that ran off of tractors. You might get lucky and it could be a standard waist belt size. Punch some holes into the ends and sew together or get a belt lacer. With a belt lacer it will put a metal lacing on both ends and is then put together and locked into place with a metal pin or wire.

I was thinking leather, but was not sure. I have my work cut out for me, I am just about done with the forge, after tig welding the mounting ears of the blower. Replacing all metal accept the stand, pouring new bearings for the flywheel. Soon I will be able to learn how to use this old beauty. Thanks so much for the help.

Thanks Doug, How would I find out more of the time period this forge was built or at least the blower. The only thing I see on the blower is 902L and 902R cast in the housing assuming L for left and R for right. The fan runs on nine ball bearings on each side of the shaft, and the blades appear to be copper.
Jason D.(sorry i'm like a sponge sometimes)

Jason, it might not be 'period correct', but you might use a section of heavy woven tie down strap for belting........the kind you find on ratchet straps.

Another alternative would be to stitch,rivet,or glue one or two old leather clothing belts together.....the kind that holds up your pants,

I have a belt drive blower that I use a washing machine motor and an old car 'fan belt', or 'v' belt to run it....It works well enough.

I appreciate all the help guys. I have a friend who does leather work, belts wallets purses ect. He is making a belt for me this week, he's actually excited to do it. I guess it's just something a little different. I had thought about using an old ratchet strap, but I was unsure how much heat the belt must with stand. I have yet to build my first fire, so you guys will probably get tired of seeing.....?Jason D.....for a good while. I just love working with metal, I do heavy repair work at Ford Kentucky Truck plant, and enjoy fabricating or repairing on the farm. I still feel like I'm gonna have a long row to Hoe blacksmithing. Just something that has always facinated me.

Oh where might I find some good coal? (I got a million questions I think)

Thanks again