I Forge Iron

central machinery

Since i moved to cali i have seen a lot of central machinery items...in canada we hav a brand called jobmate that is complete garbage..now o wanna know if cntral machinery is garbage or if it is good..im concernd because it looks like a cheap peace of garbage item that lasts 2 weeks and breaks because its made in china!

when i was at the flea mrket the other day i passed up a central machinery 8 inch bench grinder for $15

Harbor Freight Tools

One more question.... is harbour freight a store pr online thing.....if so where would i find the nearest one in costa mesa,CA?

I use some items from harbor freight, but they are tools I only need every once in a while. Some of the tools are of OK quality and are great for starting a shop on a budget. I have used several of my wet saws and grinders for years without a problem. In the end however, you get what you pay for.
hope that helps

I have 5 4 1/2 inch angle grinders from HF.
They are the blue ones labled DRILL MASTER.
I bought the first one on sale for $9.95 in a pinch. Figured it to be disposable.
Now each one has a different wheel on it. Wire, flap, grinding, cutoff.
Except for brushes, and a anual opening of the gear box for inspection and re lube, they have worked great for over 5 years.

I also have 5 air die grinders from them. Central Pneumatic.
Again with different wheels on each. 3 angle, and 2 straight.
Have most for over 5 years, and again, only paid $9.95 on sale.

My picket twister was bought from their on-line store, on sale. Came with a scroll maker, bender/ring roller, and the twister. They all been used extensively with no problems.

12 ton hydraulic press. Only wish is that it was taller. Again, no problems, and on sale for $79.

I know that you get what you pay for, and maybe I have been lucky, (knock on wood), but I have no problems with their tools.

rlarkin,
I feel the same way as you!
Experence and observation has taught me that how you treat any tool is a large factor of it's useful longivity.
Words left me when I seen a guy use the side of a nail gun to attempt to hammer in a nail. And then there is a guy I seen using a "Level" as a prybar (Duuuua).
The reason I remember so well is that the very same men complained about how the cheep tools would not hold up.
I never said anything because they were my friends. But you had better believe that "I WOULD NEVER, NEVER, LOAN THEM TOOLS". :o
I have had good success with "Centeral Machine" products my self.
Ted Throckmorton

Sabre:

In addition to what everyone said already, yes, they are online and have retail stores. Their tools aren't as good as name brand, but will do if you don't abuse them. Like the others, I have several of the 4-1/2 inch grinders. They work, and are disposal when you buy them cheap as they are.:D

Go to Redirect and at the bottom they have a store locator, this is the website that goes with the stores.

The other site is their online sales store. In my experience, you can get better deals on the same things at a retail store.

The other site is their online sales store. In my experience, you can get better deals on the same things at a retail store.

When I find something I want, I print out the page and take it the store.
If it is cheaper at the online store, I show them the print out and they match it.

Agree with above, HFT will match the online price if you bring a printout of the ad.

I always like to inspect the items at the Harbor-Freight store before I buy. Usually the item checks out as Ok (not junk,) and usually you can tell from the looks of the item.

There are so many tools I now own (from HFT) that I never could have justified buying at traditional sources/prices.

I use the orange HBT 4 1/2" grinders every day and have one of their 7" auto buffers with a cup brush(thanks to a demo by Bill Epps). I wouldent trade any of them. A couple of years ago I blewup a DeWalt grinder 2 days after the warrentee expired. The HF ones are going strong and are a LOT less expensive. Just like everywhere else, some of their stuff is bad...some good.

Most harbor freight tools are cheap chinese junk. I'e had some things that broke quickly and have had some things that have done OK.

At the time of buying this equipment it was all I could afford and at the same cheap enough that if I get a few years out of it, it will have paid for it self. Also if it breaks, it is cheap enough to replace.