I Forge Iron

Dutch starter

Bart

Hey All,

This is a message to introduce my self.

My name is Bart, fourty of age and living in the Netherlands. I've been interested in smithing since I was a boy, because I was living close to the local blacksmith. But because I don't know why, I actually never started smithing. I worked as a shipping engineer and therefore I got familiar with mills, lathes and welding. Last year when I was nosing on the loft of my father in law's workshop I found a forge. When I asked him about it he said he had an anvil as well, and if I was interested we could arrange a smithing corner in his shop. I knew he used to forge in his younger days.

So actually i found a forge, anvil tongs hammers,some space and somebody who could teach me some basics. So I made some nails, hooks, bbq pins, firepokes and a bbq fork. All went well until last June when I got involved in a bike accident and shattered my ankle.No smithing for the time being, but now I've got plenty of time to gather information about smithing, and that's how I found this forum. I must say it is very interesting, and I've found some projects (tooling) to make. So I can't wait 'till Ican start putting load on my ankle. Hopefully that's going to happen by the end of next month. Untill then I'll read abit on this forum, at least a couple of times a week.

Keep your hands dirty!

Bart.

Bart, welcome to Iforgeiron!
There's plenty of material to read on IFI........enough to keep you busy until your ankle is healed.
Besides.......there's more new material added every day!
Being a boy near a blacksmith's shop and finding a bunch of smithing tools.....both are fortunate events.

By the way.......we love to see pictures!
If you have any questions,just ask........
Enjoy!

Bart, go to the bottom right of the forum page and click on archive. Then click on a section and then a sub-section. Notice the pages 2,3,4,at the top. After you read the page you are on, read the rest of the pages. We suggest you pack a lunch and a cold drink when you go to the archive. (grin)