I Forge Iron

I just signed up for this forum and listening to the notice I am saying hi...
Um I am about to make a knife with my dad (a dagger although they are illegal in Cali ) and I was wondering about what hammer to use my father (who has made a multitude of knifes) was wondering as well because he has never forged a knife before.
We have chosen 5160 steel because it is easy to work with and this will be my first project and it is fantastic steel for knifes my father constantly tells me. We have a oxy-something torch and oil to quench with and all that.
So uh thx in advance for the help guys.

Welcome to IFI Warhammer, this is a good place to learn about smithing. The majority of smith's use a type of peen hammer, straight, cross, diagonal, ball as their regular hammer. I use a cross peen, the "back" of the hammer head is a narrow wedge of steel that is horizontal to the handle of the hammer. Many smith's use this type. It does not have to be a particular style or type of hammer to make knives with.

Here is a picture of my primary forging hammer.

9123.attach

Hi and welcome, without knowing your age strength or much else, my suggestion would be a hammer you are comfortable with,

Not too heavy, 2lb is a good general purpose weight, if the metal is at the right heat, you will forge it relatively easily. When you start to tire rest! If not you will have an incident (thats an accident that could be avoided)

A clean face with no dents or marks on, as they will transfer to you work,

The edge around this face should be slightly radiused to prevent bits chipping off, or marking your work if you dont strike it squarely to the angle of the face you are working on,

A handle you can grip comfortably, you can always shape a handle to suit your grip.

The types of hammer available are many and varied, some prefer a cross pein to allow fullering down to be done, others have different preferences, mainly it will depend on what you are making the most of, personally I prefer a rounding hammer, one face flat, the other end convex as this combination works for me as a general smith.

You can purchase hammers very cheaply (ued) or very expensive, its not the hammer that makes the work good its the person wielding it.

Good luck with your venture into blacksmithing, be safe and wear safety gear especially eye protection.

A hammer is a pretty individualistic thing..At least for me it is..I use a 2 1/4 pound rounding hammer a lot. I have a 1 1/2 pound rounding hammer for light work..I also keep a straight peen close by..Its probably redundant advice but Id try a couple and see what you like..You dont need a sledge hammer to move metal either. I have two 3 pounders that get used rarely..Your not trying to kill a hog..your just moving the metal..:)

Hey warhammer welcome to IFI. I have no idea how strong you are but don't use a hammer you don't have good control over.. you'll just end up messing your work up. Personally I use a cross pein hammer primarily and a ball pein for lighter work. Good luck forging and make sure you wear safety glasses. every time. almost lost an eye when a piece of metal broke when hammering and it hit right beside my eye. If you can't find your glasses don't do it and save yourself a trip to the hospital. Not to scare you or anything haha. just use common sense

Hi Warhammer. Along with all the other hammers mentioned I forge my own, the two favorites being a 2 pound cross peen and a 2 pound quarter peen or diagonal peen. You can find the hammers in most big box stores or at Harbor Freight. There are also black smith supply sites on the net that handle about any hammer you can think of.
Finnr