I Forge Iron

Fusion 10 quench oil-has anyone used?

Good afternoon from warm SW Michigan!

I'm asking for anyone's personal experience using Fusion 10 quench oil, asking for real use experience and thoughts versus the old stand-bys of Parks AAA and Parks 50.

I have already purchased and have been using the Fusion 10 quenching oil for various items I've begun to learn about heat treating in my home shop (a one gallon jug).  So I've already committed, I'm not looking to be talked into buying Parks at this time.  I also wanted to support a small business in Huntington Indiana that makes the quenching oil (Fusion Chemical).

I cannot find much anywhere, on here or similar websites, of other Smith's personal reviews of the oil. I've never used any other quenching oil before, so I have no experience to make comparisons off of.  It is an oil that (per manufacturer specs) needs to be in the 120° to 190° range for proper usage.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Since no one's responded, I'm guessing there isn't much experience with it here.  

You're using it and even if you haven't had anything to compare with, you're the expert.  What is your experience with the product?  Give us your thoughts on it.  Does it do what you expect?

"Expert" I am not, the only fair description would be "most familiar."

In essence, I've only effectively "dunked" HC railroad spikes in this quenching oil.  I know that HC spikes have at best 0.3% carbon conent, that being borderline hardenability.  No Rockwell tester nor HRC test files here either.  I don't own a heat treat oven, only a Mr. Volcano forge and a repurposed kitchen toaster oven for attempts to temper one day.  To date, the only "testing " I've attempted was break-testing a spike piece as-is (my assumption that piece is normalized), post-quench "hardened", and "tempered." I did see the "normalized" as-is piece bend easily, "hardened" snap, " and "tempered" snap like the aforementioned prior piece.  Again, spike steel I know isn't the best medium to test.

I do have O1 and 52100 on hand, I could experiment with those.  I have read various articles on all aspects of what heat treating is, watched numerous YouTube videos, and have purchased Steve Sells' book "Introduction to Knife Making" but haven't read his notes on Heat Treatment yet.

There's so many variables with properly done heat treatment-type of steel, thickness of piece, how many normalization sessions should be done post-forging, how quickly to raise the temp, how long to soak at what ideal temp, what temp to temper at, how long to temper at, ad nauseum.  I lack proper experience, ability to compare, and valid, established means to judge if Fusion 10 is a good/better-than-others quenchant.  I know guys use canola, new and used motor oil, ATF, peanut, etc.  Just wanting to see if a more qualified, more knowledgeable and experienced Smith had his own experience and could share his knowledge with me, as I do value the knowledge of those who know more than I do.

Morning Steve!  I have seen that off of Fusion Chemical's website, but admittedly do not fully understand all data. I've tried finding a data sheet for Parks in a similar format for comparison sake.  May I have your take on that data?