I Forge Iron

Railroad spike barn door handles

Good morning from SW Michigan everyone!

I've been making and selling  miscellaneous things here-and-there from spikes, these barn door handles have been a well received item. I use my Mr. Volcano forge to heat the spikes, put a rubix-cube twist on the railroad spikes, flux core weld those to small sections of rebar.  I then take sections of plate (3/16" here, could use 11 ga. Instead), get those nice and hot in the forge, hammer those out by use of the flat face on a ball-pein to add a texture.  Drill out four mounting holes, countersink as well.  I drill two large holes in the plate that match up with the rebar, and plug-weld the plate to the rebar/spike assembly.  Finish off with BLO and we're done!

If you've got suggestions, and/or similar to share, I'd like to see either!

20240507_093959.jpg

20240503_162325.jpg

20240503_162318.jpg

20240503_162334.jpg

Nice work.  I'd all it a semi-rubik's dube twist since you are doing opposite edges.  Do you cut the cubes by hand with a hacksaw or use and angle grinder?  And do you strike in the flute in the center of the side of the spike hot or use an angle grinder?  Finally, if you don't mind saying, what do you charge for a set?

Thx.

G

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Hello George-

Thank you!  I use an angle grinder to both notch the center of each side of the spike, and also to do the diagonal notches.  I have done hot striking to make the initial notches, but as of now, I feel more comfortable with cutting it cold. One of these days, with enough money saved and the right deal, I'd love to have a bandsaw.  I'm just a hobbyist, fortunate enough to have made things people have been purchased, so that my metalworking consumables come from the proceeds and not the household budget.  I charge $45 for a set of two, based that upon what I've seen for similar on Etsy, Ebay, and local FB marketplace. 

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty nice, I'm not crazy about the rebar but if folks buy them it's all good. Have you tried a hack saw? I can cut corners like that faster with a hack saw than my band saw, I only have one set up rather than having to take extra care or make a hold down for the bandsaw. Cut off disks scare me for heavy stock.

Frosty The Lucky.