I Forge Iron

Auction Report

Everyone is always asking about anvil pricing, so I thought I'd share what I saw today at an auction near Kirby, Ar.

First anvil:

Was billed as 250lbs, had a 2 2 2 marking on it, which I'm interpreting to be 282lbs by the hundred weight system. Used a 1" ball bearing, good rebound, pretty good ring to it. Sold for 1050 dollars. (painted orange in picture)

Second anvil:

Was billed as 400lbs, no visible markings. Auctioneer said it was 40" in length, I did not measure. Ball bearing had good rebound, but the worst sound I've ever heard on a anvil that I didn't know was a harbor freight. I can only describe it as a "thud". Waist was welded, looks like electric arc. It may have had a weld line about 2-3 inches back from the cutting area, across the face that ran all the way down and through the upper casting. If so, it was a 3 piece construction, which I find weird. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into barely visible details. Sold for 2400 dollars. I was told the purchaser was going to display it outside his automotive shop. Also, the family told me this anvil had been passed down inside the family from a man who originally was a lifer at a railroad yard down in Texas. Possibly around Marshall Texas.

image000002.jpg

image000003.jpg

Probably a fair price for the smaller one.  I would have passed on the larger one because 1) the "thunk" which could mean delamination of the face and body, 2) The welds which could be from manufacture or repairs, and 3) I don't need an anvil that large.  But $6/lb.  is not that outragous.

This brings up another point.  Large anvils are cool if you have one but for a hobby shop how large an anvil does a person actually "need."  IMO 200-250 pounds is enough for almost anything anyone will be doing by themselves.  I have never thought that my 200# Peter Wright was too small for what I was doing (my original 100# Vulcan was OK but would sometimes walk depending on what I was doing).

GNM

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The large one could have been cast in the RR shop as a journeyman project, that's where my swage block came from. If it was cast in the RR shop it could explain the thunk. A RR shop is more than capable of doing some sophisticated casting, like a steel face welded in the mold like a Fisher. I would've liked to run a file across the face but I already have enough anvils at 2.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

If it was cast in the RR shop it could explain the thunk.

And the lack of markings / stamping.  Also, possibly the weird 3 piece casting. If it's all cast iron, then... thud. Good call.

Still would've liked to have it. Just for size bragging rights. Not enough to pay that much though.

Fisher anvils are top shelf though maybe top of the list anvils they are cast iron with a foundry welded steel face and their big selling point was as a quiet anvil. Not quite thud, more of a thunk bordering on a dull tink.

Frosty The Lucky.