I Forge Iron

Rigidizer and ITC-100, alone or Both???

You don't NEED both products, ITC-100 will do it's job without a rigidizer. However ITC-100 isn't a rigidizer and won't provide the protection to the Kaowool and it won't protect YOU from Kaowool's little airborne particles.

Of course you aren't likely to get silicosis till after a couple decades of regular exposure but why risk it at all?

So, I'd say use both. Rigidizer first (follow the directions) then the ITC-100.

Frosty

Hmmmm... I was just nosing around on Ron Reil's website, looking up forge design info, and found this about ITC-100 and Kaowool:

A Note About ITC-100 and Kaowool:

ITC-100 is more than just a ceramic wool stabilizer. It is an infrared reflector that reradiates up to 98% of the heat that strikes it back into the forge chamber.

This will heat your iron faster, and will act like an additional inch of Kaowool, providing lower shell temperature and better fuel economy, as much as 30% better in independent tests.

It will also stabilize the Kaowool so that you don't have dangerous ceramic fibers in the forge exhaust. It will last almost forever if it is not damaged through mechanical injury by you or others using your forge.

Even though it is semi expensive, it is well worth the cost as it will repay you in various ways, directly and indirectly, very quickly. It may be used on any kind of forge chamber surface, not just Kaowool.

Forge and Burner Design Page #2

I wonder if that is correct and where his information on ITC-100 came from? Edited by DerekC
Added"came from" to the last sentence.

Ron's pretty thorough about his research but hasn't updated that page in a long time, a decade or so anyway. The folk who make ITC-100 tell you not to use is as a stand alone on ceramic blankets now but at that time they said it was good to go.

I believe their tests were challenged and it was shown that particles do indeed get past straight ITC-100. Anyway, NOW they recommend a stabilizer of some type (theirs most strongly of course) then a top coat of ITC-100.

Even as a stand alone it's better than uncoated ceramic blanket.

Frosty

You don't NEED both products, ITC-100 will do it's job without a rigidizer. However ITC-100 isn't a rigidizer and won't provide the protection to the Kaowool and it won't protect YOU from Kaowool's little airborne particles.

Of course you aren't likely to get silicosis till after a couple decades of regular exposure but why risk it at all?

So, I'd say use both. Rigidizer first (follow the directions) then the ITC-100.

Frosty

I was also having a hard time deciding on materials. I have settled on a 3/4" - 1" cast shell, that way I don't have to worry.