I Forge Iron

New to me post vise ID help!

kscar33

Hoping to utilize the collective expertise of everyone here to try and ID the post vise I have been using. I bought it from someone off marketplace who clearly didn't know what it was. Overall it's in decent shape, but the wedges for holding the vice to the mounting plate kept coming loose. So I decided to break down and see about fixing it, while I'm at it I decided to wire wheel the old layers of paint off and came across this partial logo.

20240518_122102_01.thumb.jpg.fb685c9a6f43ef985b5b5d0a0649af3b.jpg

This is the best photo I could really get....so far have not found any other markings. Thanks in advance!

Also here's a photo of the vise when I first brought it home! 

20231013_074555.thumb.jpg.192e60d5ed937b68b9774e2cb2041155.jpg

NICE photo! It's such a nice change to see oblique lighting to show texture well. :)

I wish I could help with the maker, I can only see part of the mark. What makes it more fun is how many folks made leg vises that were so similar as to be almost indistinguishable. Happily lots of the gang are more up on maker's marks than I am.

Sweet looking vise, how does it turn? Smoothly I hope.

Frosty The Lucky.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply! That's interesting I'll have to do some more reading on them, but I think you hit the nail on the head!

Frosty thanks for the compliments! It works well enough considering the condition of the threads. Its interesting how it seemed to almost roll the threads closer to the handle, but closer to end they look relatively normal. 

20240512_140334.jpg

20240512_140407.jpg

Edited by Mod30
Remove quote. & @ name tag

The wear on the threads shows the size of the work that was commonly held in the vise.  Really large stuff and really small things were seldom worked on, hence the lack of wear near the handle and at the opposite end.  I'd call the condition of the threads in the middle "worn but usable."

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I just calls em like I sees em and a well lit photo deserves recognition, hopefully more folk will follow the example. Please do NOT use the @ tag, the forum OS doesn't recognize them like other sites and it makes a moderator dig into the machine language and straighten it out. 

You might get a note from a mod, it's just part of the learning curve they only really get after habitual problems.

Dito George's diagnosis of the thread wear. Worn but useable. Of course if you were to run across another one it might be worth picking up for the screw and screw box if nothing else. 

Frosty The Lucky.