I Forge Iron

Little Giant 25 Pound Power Hammer Value

I have the opportunity to purchase a Little Giant 25 Pound Power Hammer in excellent condition. (pictured below)  I know there are plenty of variables, but can anyone give me an approximate value?  Thanks in advance.

436342093_3537160396596031_8759608433587420985_n.jpg

Value and price are two different things! The essential value of a powerhammer (or any tool) lies in how it enables you to do your work faster and to do heavier work than you can do by hand, while its economic value lies in the extent to which that increase in speed and capacity enables you to get paid more for your work. The question is, will the price of this particular LG (including transportation, tooling, and the repairs -- if any-- needed to get it working properly) be offset by that increase in economic value -- or, in short, will it be a moneymaker or an albatross?

So, what is the asking price?

Darn, that looks like my 50# LG's little brother, same colors even. I wonder what they used it for, the arms are adjusted almost closed. It wouldn't have any snap and might just slam largish work. That's just an adjustment, you can see and check wear when you take a look at it. 

As John says, value is entirely subjective. IF you have work for it and it'll save you time, money and wear and tear on your back and arms, it's pretty valuable. If on the other you're like me, a hobbiest who was looking into building one to use when it made a project easier, not so much.

Take a close look before you make a counter offer, talk up any loose pivots, probably the link arms if it's been run adjusted like it is. Check the spring carefully running that compressed for too long might have set it there or it may be cracked. I replaced the one on mine of GP, a brand new spring from the spring shop in Anchorage was surprisingly cheap compared a "real" one.

The other major factor for what I had to give for mine is location, there just aren't many working mechanical power hammers in my neck of Alaska and those are either scrapped, family heirlooms or in use. I was pleased as punch to give only $7K for mine and had to put close to another grand into bringing it up to snuff. It was a rarity though and a 400 mile round trip to pick it up. 

Sorry for the ramble. Bottom line is what's it worth to You and how good at dickering are you? Have a trailer or truck capable of hauling a ton safely, No it doesn't weigh that much but a safety factor is a good thing and tying one down solidly can be a challenge. I brought my car hauler trailer, dunnage and a bunch of ratchet straps and checked the load about every 50+/- miles.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for all the good info.  I certainly know the difference between price and value.  I just figured that most would derive that I'm trying to ascertain how much I can expect to pay for something like this without over-paying.  The current asking price is $3950.  It's roughly an hour from me. (approx. 50 miles)  Also, I do have a trailer that can safely haul it.  I know almost nothing about these, but feel like I might be able to get some good use out of it someday.  Again, thanks for the info.

Ahhh, the fair price question! Take a look around, most news papers archive even their want and for sale ads so you can search, read and get an idea what the market looks like. Don't forget the difference between asking and sold price.

How are you at bargaining? Were it up here, everything was reasonably tight and it ran when the switch was flipped I'd probably offer $2,000 to start the game. The way I play it, if the seller doesn't scream or wail I countered too high, it they accept WAY too high. I usually cut the asking in half unless I think it's close to my price already. On rare occasion I'll pay asking but I really gotta want it. 

You gotta play it cool to be any good at bargaining, give the impression of curious but not looking. the more you want it the more disinterested you need to act. Always being aware it may not go your way. I've made killings, even had extra things pushed on my for dickering to 25% the asking price. Then you get the other folks like a nice Roto-Zip tool kit, attachments and bits offered for a great price and I countered about 50% asking. I got cussed and run off without letting me apologise or frankly say anything else. Boy did I shoot myself in the foot on that one! :(

Criminy I'm getting all worked up to go kick it's tires and start bargaining! 

Frosty The Lucky.

Might try contacting LG or at least go to their web site. It looks to be in very good shape, possibly restored. If so the asking price is not unreasonable. However like Frosty, I would haggle over the price and if it's in as good of shape it appears to be I would buy it.

When I bought my 30 pound Star hammer 25 or so years ago the seller wanted $3000 US for it but it needed so much work, I got it for, if memory serves me $1200 US. I did have to pour all the Babbitt bearings for a start and make the bottom die, buy a motor and make the motor mount, etc. Even though I don't use it to make money, it's priceless to me and saves me a lot of pain when working larger stock.

https://www.littlegianthammer.com/

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Thanks for the good advice.  I consider myself pretty good at dickering.  I learned from my friend, who is one of the best.  If anything comes of it, I will keep you posted.  Thanks again!

Cool, Dad used to take me along to equipment auctions for his metal spinning shop. It was amazing how much of it was Navy gray under a few thick layers of paint. The only new spinning lathes he had he built himself.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good memories.  I can't even begin to imagine how much of that type of stuff was Navy Surplus.  Only fitting that it came back to the people who paid for it.