I Forge Iron

Kohlswa Marking A87

I just came into possess of a Kohlswa anvil. I'm trying to get some information on it, model, age and weight. It has A87 stamped on side of the base, what is that telling me? It also has the numbers 168 painted on the base under the horn. I'm thinking this anvil was weigh and marked for auction at some point. I'm including pics and would like opinions on quality and condition, as I will be sell it at some point.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Thanks                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Paul                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           North Georgia 

046.JPG

048.JPG

049.JPG

050.JPG

055.JPG

056.JPG

057.JPG

059.JPG

060.JPG

063.JPG

064.JPG

Welcome aboard Paul, glad to have you. Do you blacksmith or are you flipping this anvil?

Kohlswa are Swedish cast steel anvils and top shelf. As to what it weighs, put it on a bathroom scale and tell us. You don't show what is stamped in the side which is often where the actual as made stats are. Depending on who ordered it made of course. What someone somewhere wrote with a paint stick is pretty useless. The number stamped in the foot could be a company ID, a store stock/model#, etc. 

It looks to be in excellent condition so unless it's been through a fire and had the temper drawn down to far it should fetch good money. Do a rebound test to see if she's still hard or maybe have had torch damage. Drop a 3/8" - 1/2" ball bearing from 10" and read how far it bounces back up in inches as a %. A Kohlswa in undamaged condition will have a rebound in the 90% range, older ones say 1970 and older will rebound higher.

Whatever it weighs if you decide to get into blacksmithing you couldn't ask for a better anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the greeting guys!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           I'm a lifelong woodworker and not planning on starting a new hobby now. My plan is to find out what I have and get it into the hands of someone who knows how to use it. It's too heavy to be lifted alone. My guess it's 150  - 180lbs. The only marking are the name and A87. Is there a location that might have more marking? The anvil has a nice ring when tapped with a small hammer front to back. I will try locate a ball bearing for a better test. Thanks for the information!