I Forge Iron

C733F9D2-CBDF-42B8-9C04-45354B38C5CB.thumb.jpeg.2e871eb24bf6d5fdc7cb15cc5c043af1.jpeg

IMG_4244.thumb.jpeg.9a1316122ae2eda9584c3a94d8ec6a5c.jpeg

I thought I would share a tool I made a while ago- a hand forged cone for the hardy hole. This is as forged and filed, no grinding done.

obviously it needs cleanup, and I should have been more judicious with my hammer blows. 

but, it works as intended- and is very useful.

Looks pretty good though if possible it's gooder to bring a mandrel to a sharper point if possible. If you have a belt grinder they're easy to clean up and sharpen.

But as forged you done good!

Frosty The Lucky.

I did a lot of it under the 12 ton hydraulic press , but cleaned it up by hand. I hot rasped it to its final dimension- I meant to go over it again with the belt sander, but it fell into the “tomorrow” pile, never to receive its just reward. 

it goes along with an anvil I’m parting with, otherwise I would go back over it to finish…

but there is always the next one!

Thanks, Frosty. I am grateful for this forum, even if it’s not as busy as it used to be.

irondragon- that was my past two years. Clearing trees and splitting firewood.

A lot of my previous projects suffered from creative burnout, so I took a hiatus and took up ceramics to keep myself making