I Forge Iron

Forge advice for a newcomer

Quilbilly

I teach woodworking and wooden boat building in a Washington state high school. I want to buy a simple propane forge to introduce students to hardening and tempering tools. I would like them to make a plane iron for a wooden plane project that I have them do and perhaps a chisel or marking knife. My only experience of using a forge was in my own 8th grade shop many years ago and I can only barely remember it. I searched online for forges and there were so many choices I don't know where to begin. Can anybody give me some direction on what size and style I should look for. I have a budget of about $400-500 and I want to just buy it, as I have lots of other projects to build that I can better use my time for. And I think my district would be more comfortable if I weren't building something I know little about that students will use. Thanks in advance- Todd Miller.

Welcome aboard Todd, glad to have you.

If you go to the top of the page, click on "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location there's probably someone close enough to help you directly.

A Whisper Baby is a good choice for basic forging and heat treating. You're quite right about the school (insurance co. actually) being a lot more comfortable with a commercial appliance rather than home made.

Get in touch with the NWBA Home Page as well, they're a good bunch of guys who will be happy to help you with what you want to do.

Frosty