I Forge Iron

Old John Brooks Anvil?

I've picked this anvil up from an antique store in the middle of nowhere in france, after cleaning up the sides ive noticed a lot of mis marked john brooks stamps and was wondering if this is an original, what year, if it is a rare anvil, i think i've figured out the numbers on the side which are 2 1 18, but i am not sure. it also has the letter A chiseled A on it.

This has probably been asked a lot, but i cannot find a lot of info about forged old school john brooks like this one, as it does not seem cast. any info about the year, the price, the reason why the stamps are as they are would be amazing. thanks all

20240217_133432.jpg.1bdb620eefa9e301843eaa545dfde1d5.jpg20240217_140526.thumb.jpg.e33cdceabad35595de908a69df22dd79.jpg1.thumb.png.7ed079698182056003e2cfce299e77b5.png20240217_141623.thumb.jpg.1761c1e91b166b37cbc5e0e94f78302c.jpg

4 hours ago, EagleEyeIfI said:

2 1 18, but i am not sure

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

The numbers are the weight in the English Hundred Weight system. They will add up to 270 pounds as when the anvil was forged.

"English Hundreds Weight (hundredweight) System:

Typically the hundreds weight markings are separated by dots but not always. These figures were stamped into the finished anvil and are often not very deep. The first figure to the left is hundred weights which equal 112 pounds. The next figure is quarter hundred weights which equal 28 pounds and the last number is whole pounds. The three are added together for the total weight.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge ClayWorks said:

Welcome from the Ozark mountains.

The numbers are the weight in the English Hundred Weight system. They will add up to 270 pounds as when the anvil was forged.

"English Hundreds Weight (hundredweight) System:

Typically the hundreds weight markings are separated by dots but not always. These figures were stamped into the finished anvil and are often not very deep. The first figure to the left is hundred weights which equal 112 pounds. The next figure is quarter hundred weights which equal 28 pounds and the last number is whole pounds. The three are added together for the total weight.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Thanks, the more i read about it and the more i research the less i can actually find. only that it might be a rare anvil

Good Morning E.Eye

Rare, is always the case, if you don't have an Anvil. After you have a couple and stop looking, they will find you. Just like 'Magic'. "I have this Anvil in the basement, would you like it?"............ Your Brooks, is made in England, they shipped them anywhere anyone asked. They are a good name and a good product.

Enjoy the Journey!!

Neil