I Forge Iron

Oatey high heat (2500 degree) furnace cement bubbling

No pictures of what you cast? We won't believe it if you don't show us pictures you know, it's an IFI tradition.

Below are a couple videos of making flasks. I like the idea of putting dados on  the inside so you won't have a mold drop out. It doesn't happen very often but it can happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvRCUUGwKOo

The second video is a little too cutesy for my liking but he makes a decent flask. I like the idea of putting the alignment registers offset on the other side so you can't put the flask together reversed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-VZldOK6-Q

The flasks we used in school were cast aluminum and the alignment registers were large tabs with holes in drag and pins in the cope. I don't remember what the inside surfaces looked like, smooth I think. I just watched a bunch of flask making videos and everybody made them with smooth inside surfaces so the dado might be unnecessary. Looked like a good idea but it's been more than 50 years since I did any casting to speak of.

The main thing to remember is to get the flask halves as perfectly matched as possible and make the register pins, pegs, etc. so there is NO WIGGLE when the flask is assembled though it is nice if they're chamfered so they go together easily.

Frosty The Lucky.

Congrats on a successful pour!   Sounds like you are well on your way to a long-lasting addiction. There is definitely a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction that you can get from working with your hands to create something you like that you just can't usually get by sitting at a desk.

If you have the time and ability to post a picture (or a few) of your build and your casting I'd love to see it as well.