I Forge Iron

Fuller or a hammer

This is a scrapyard find. There is no marking, the hole is straight wall I don't think it can be wedged, it is obviously very used. I did hit it with a hammer (lightly) on the side of the mushrooming and it seems soft. I wouldn't want to use it as a fuller if it is not.

IMG_20240123_180214564.jpg

IMG_20240123_180234263.jpg

IMG_20240123_180901626.jpg

What does the pein look like, is it straight or curved like an axe? It could be a stone dressing hammer, just because someone hit it with a hammer or beat on something enough to mushroom the flat doesn't mean it was a fuller, top tool. On the other hand you see lots of old top tools that are mushroomed from years of use.

If you are going to use it as a top tool you really need to grind the mushrooming off and chamfer the edges heavily, say 12mm in to help control future mushrooming.

Frosty The Lucky.

As I understand it's use, the stone mason who was dressing the large flat stone grindstone's, he/she would use that hammer to cut the groves in the stone deeper by setting the sharpened peen end in the grove and striking the other end, hence the mushrooming on both ends. I once saw that being done in an old restored mill. Thought it was interesting the mason used the same rhythm as a lot of blacksmith's.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus