I Forge Iron

timber frame shop? What are all the artists fantasy 'blacksmith shops' based on?

Big fan of old medieval / timberframe / castle sort of architecture.   If I google medieval blacksmith shop all that come up are images from computer games, artists drawings, or similar.   Usually they look very cool but of course are not real.

Anyone have photos or know of any actual historical metal working shops / foundries /armouries that survived that were build with big timberframe style with stone etc... maybe a water wheel?   Like the lego blacksmith shop - is there a real life version out there someplace besides maybe disneyland?

photos of course welcome.

Also, you need to consider the context of a blacksmith shop, in a town, village, monastery, castle, etc..  In a town the construction might have been fairly substantial and comparable to the neighboring buildings.  In a manor house some of the same considerations would go into the construction of a smithy as went into a kitchen located seperately from the main buildings.  Both were places where fire was in use and were more likely to accidentally catch fire.  They were separated to keep the fire from destroying other buildings.  So, they may have been of lighter construction which is easier and cheaper to replace in case of a fire.  Also, they would probably be less likely to have a thatched roof and would be located away from any building with a thatched roof.

You may want to do some research into architectural history of different types of buildings in the medival period.  And you probably will have to do real research in a public or university library and utilize Inter Library Loan.  Doing research only on the internet is very insufficient and inadequate.

If I were to design a general late medival blacksmith shop I would probably have 4 corner posts and roof trusses of mortise and tenon construction with the walls filled in with wattle and daub.  Light panels in the upper part of the wall which would swing up under the eaves for light and ventilation.  Probably a tile or lead roof.  Probably a stone floor in the main part of the smithy with dirt where animals would be brought in.  Probably a brick forge and chimney.  Great bellows suspended from the rafters.  Square anvil with what we would now call hardy tools set in stumps or a bench.  Half barrel (willow withey hoops) for a slack tub.  Lots of tongs in racks.  Various sizes and types of hammers.

Hope this helps.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."