I Forge Iron

Tired Old Anvil ID

This is a anvil I inherited from my Grandfather a few years back. I recently pressed it back into service. It has considerable sentimental value to me and I was hopeing you guys could tell me anything about the age or type. I'm curious about the holes in the lower portion of the anvil and the stamp 1053 in the lower right bottom of the front. I assume it had a plate welded to the top that long ago broke off and the face redressed?
Thanks in advance for any information.
Ken

8905.attach

8906.attach

8907.attach

Ken,

If I am looking at that right, that square "plate" on the back is all that is left of the original face. Depending on the make of the anvil, except for that small square, all you have under the hammer is a block of iron. The part that is missing would have been "tool steel". That's where you would get all of your hardness and rebound.

You could re-face it, but a sentimental piece might be better retired to a prominant spot in the shop and just find another anvil to do the work.

I know this because when I was first starting out, some old codger at a flea market sold me an old Star anvil that had "real good" rebound. I didn't test it; I took his word for it. Like yours, it had most of the face missing. I ended up selling it to an antique dealer.
Live & learn.

Don

Looks like a Hay Budden. the holes you ask about are for porter bars while it was forged. The face is missing except for that little piece on the heel. What you have left there is either mild steel (soft) or wrought iron (Softer). any forging you do will ding it up pretty bad.

Do you want to use it? Here is a case for welding up an anvil to get it back into action, or it can be used as is as a monument.

My two cents.

it looks to me like it could be a hay budden also.....have you tried a rebound test on the stepped down face? my understanding is that later year hay buddens didnt have a "plate" on the face. the whole upper portion of the anvil was made of tool steel and hardened (not sure how deep the hardening went) and the base was wrought.

The rebound test consists of dropping a 1" dia ball bearing on the face and estimating it's return bounce height as a percentage of the original height. Anvilfire has a good description of the test and results for verious brands of anvils.

This was not a one piece top as if it was it wouldn't have delaminated like it has; also the serial number if pretty low for an HB and so it would be an earlier one.

Can you flip it over and see if there is traces of the edges protruding slightly past the bottom to provide a rim? On early HB's this is sometimes worn away but the hourglass shape is quite indicative of an HB.

If it was mine I would get it repaired and use it in honour of it's past usage in the family. It would need to be properly done by someone who knows what they are doing---not any run of the mill weldor who says they do! Correct preheat, correct rod/wire, correct postheat and not someone just gobbing over it with a hardfacing rod that cracks!

I think Thomas is saying that this face had more than one piece, possibly 3-4, to make up the face of the anvil. The face was forge welded to the body of the anvil. The 'really clean' area where the face was had to be just that, clean and smooth in order for the face to be welded on the top. If you are close to Memphis, check with the National Ornamental Metal Museum there, they have an anvil repair days and you could end up with a real nice anvil. Not sure what the cost, if any, would be. Also, tell them you heard about them on IFI!

Typical construction method for old anvils was to weld up the base out of chunks of wrought iron, jump weld the horn and heel (and feet) on and then weld on a steel face in one or more pieces. As time went on the number of pieces used to create an anvil went down with single slab for the face welded to the upper section and a single piece for the base---3 pieces and then to the 2 piece with the face being a heat treated part of the top piece and then to 1 piece anvils. Not all brands did this evolution though.

Thomas,
Thanks for the tip on Memphis. I looked and the repair days was last weekend. Day late and a dollar short I guess.
Ken

That was for the 'antique' repairs day. My brother was asked to help with it but opted to come see me and my shop and then to our 85th family reunion in Cut-n-Shoot, TX. The anvil repair event may be on a different day.