I Forge Iron

Last Demo's this year!

I've got my last two demo's coming up this weekend and the next. Our whole family will be setting up at both. (This is the first time we have set up as a family, see website) This weekend is a craft fair on the town square. The next weekend is a Reenactment in London Ky. Living History on Friday is supposed to include up to 1400 school students. I'll not be the only smith there, but I hope both of us will do well. Anyway, I'll let y'all know how they go, and y'all pray that we'll do good.
Oh, I'm going to try to raffle off one of my best decorated fire pokers. It's a new idea so I don't know how well it'll do. I'd think it would sell good. It's a $50.00 poker, and tickets are $1.00 apiece. I might make $5 or $100. Guess I'll find out! :D or :o or :mad:

When your in London there is a good steak joint right there at the I-75 intersection..I spent about 8 weeks down there while I was filling in at the Manchester prison..Couple of nice gun stores out on 25 near Corbin too..If you havent seen cumberland falls think about it while your out that way..

Kyboy. You aughta come by. Show me how the pro's do it! How far are you away from London? Home is the link!

LOL, buddy I wont call myself a pro :D Im a couple hours from London, just up the parkway...Believe it or not Im setting at a craft fair right now(no demos) using the citys free wireless service. My wife is set up selling crafts and some metal work..Been kinda slow as of yet as its early but she just sold a spike knife...If we end up down that way Ill definitly show up..Good luck..:)

I'd love to meet a fellow forum member.
We just got back from the event on the square here. It was real slow! I made enough to cover the booth space with a few dollars extra, but since I didn't set up alone I don't have to pay the whole bill. (We do it according to profit percintage so I pay the most but not all) Anyway, I got the customary "prospects" for special orders too. The raffle was a total loss. It's a $40.00 poker and I sold about $13-15 worth of tickets. Oh well! I'm going to try it again at a couple bigger events to see if this one was just a bummer. I did meet the smith that I was talking about on chat. He was real nice and I hope we can get together. He had a photo album of his work, and he had some real nice stuff. So, I hope next week will be a little better, and with the reenactors I think a poker raffle would do well. Till then!

• 2 weeks later...

Wildcat went good. Mom hasn't figured the actual profit amount, but I think I made quite a bit. Also came away with a few special orders. Another smith showed himself, and admediately began criticising my methods using VERY repulsive language repetitavely. I simply ignored him and he eventually walked away. While I want criticism of my methods and work I would like it in a more gentlemanly manner! I was in the midle of a demo when he thus enterupted me, and I was so taken back by his repulsive manners that I was for a moment speechless, and not as talkitive for the rest of the demo!
The battles were great. On Friday we had a skirmash for the kids. I played blue and a friend of mine shot me in the leg and then in the arm. I hobbled over to where he fell and clubbed him with my musket before finally collapsing! Saturday I played grey and took a mortal hit right at the end of the fight. After the battle I faked a leg wound for spectators around the hospital tent. After I was "healed" I did some more demo's, loaded everything up, and then went to the ball. The barn was real small and the musicians, well they couldn't keep time to say the least.
Anyway, as far as the battles and demo's go it was a pretty good event.
That's it for this year, and I started looking up events for next year.
Hopefully I'll have a demo trailer then!

Glad your second went better..Ours was O.K..Of course we sold out of some small stuff (s-hooks) that everyone kept coming back for :rolleyes: I hate to hear abut the jerk..Its too bad but there seems to be one in evey crowd..

Welcome to one of the true charms of public demos Dave. The know it all loudmouth.

It's been my experience that the louder and more abusive the person the less s/he actually knows. I've been called a fraud because I radiused the edges of my anvil, because I don't use coal, because I don't do it the way his grandpa did, etc., etc. ad naseum.

It's been pretty rare but I have had a couple gals fall into the loudmouth buffoon category. They're usually spewing artspeak though and so not very crude.

What isn't immediately apparent is these fools don't hurt you at all. Provided you keep your head. If you answer in kind you will lose the respect of the audience but if you can remain polite till they wander off your respect will go up.

Some guys will offer to let the vocal person demonstrate his/er superior knowledge of smithing but I have more respect for my tools. I don't suffer fools gladly so I hold my tongue and let the audience do the commenting afterwards. It's never failed for me.

So, congrats on a successful demo. Meeting the fool with silence is in fact the best tactic. YOU win!

Frosty