I Forge Iron

Cutting Titanium

Phil Dwyer

The piece thats left is about 2" x 4" by 4.5". I'm not sure how I'd even hang on to it to get it in and out of the forge, never mind whacking away at it with a hot cut until shearing through it. A pair of tongs would be cool though, that's for sure!

Edited by Farmer Phil

Yes Phil, lots of experience cutting Titanium, Nickel, Cobalt, Chromium, Aircraft-Aluminum, Magnesium, Niobium, Molybdenum, Tool-steel, Stainless, etc.

Over in the Forge Shop, they would take scrap titanium and Forge some really fine 3-foot-long "Jimmy" or Pry-Bars for us to use in stacking billets and moving bars and rounds on the rolling-tables that fed the saws.

Titanium really puts out bright, white light from the sparks when cut with an abrasive saw, and it forms a tan oxide when removed from the furnace to cool.

Was wondering if you or anyone would know where might be a good source of titanium-scrap, that could be purchased by the general public?

I would really like to forge one of those light-weight jimmy-bars of my own some day.