I Forge Iron

Items from an old Blacksmith's shop.

On my boss's farm, there is an old falling down blacksmith shop in the woods. He has no interest in it's contents, so he has let me pick through it a few times. It is full of leaves, dirt, trash, ect. This was my haul today, and should be my last, save for when he decides to tear it down and clean up the mess, then i'll be there to pick through the debris. Instead of attaching thumbnails to the post, i will just give you a link to the gallery. Enjoy.

Findings in an old blacksmith shop - Blacksmith Photo Gallery

If anyone knows what some of the odd items are, please speak up. Irnsrgn informed me that the hooks with the right angles are for hanging meat on in smoke houses. Also, anyone know what the huge hardy tool is for? its about 3 foot tall. i'd have to set my anvil on the floor to use it!

Edit: I know what the chain vise is. its going to sit in wd40 for a while to loosen up, and i'l try refurbishing it. if its too far gone, no big.

Edited by highlander
additional thoughts.

Suggestion on the chain vise, soak it in diesel will give better results. IMO.
I agree with Larrynjr on the 'hardie tool'. There is no shoulder for it to stop once placed in the hardie hole. I think it is more of a 'work in progress' that the original smith was either working on or a special tool he needed. My computer is too slow (dial up) for my patience tonight to wait to see all of the pictures, just the thumbnails. I will take a closer look in the a.m. at work as what the other stuff is. Anyway you go looks like fun. Wish I had the opportunity to do that! I suppose there are none of the big tools, i.e.; anvil, vise, forge, etc. They probably were sold yrs ago or worse, stolen. Here's to your future success in that old shop. (wonder if you listened real close you could hear the walls tell tales of what went on inside there;) )

Highlander,looks like you found some blacksmithing history!

One thing I noticed years ago while exploring old barns and sheds is that if the dirt is soft........heavy stuff may have sank in the dirt so much as to be completely covered.
I try to have a little hand rake or trowel with me on these kind of archaelogical 'digs'.
I've never found, say, an anvil that way.........but you never know!

Highlander,looks like you found some blacksmithing history!

One thing I noticed years ago while exploring old barns and sheds is that if the dirt is soft........heavy stuff may have sank in the dirt so much as to be completely covered.
I try to have a little hand rake or trowel with me on these kind of archaelogical 'digs'.
I've never found, say, an anvil that way.........but you never know!

thats how i found all the hammer heads and whatnot... i stepped on one, dug it out, then realized there could be more buried below the soft dirt so i started digging with one of those meat hooks till i hit hard ground. found lots more that way, and wouldnt have found most of whats in the pics if it wasnt for that.