I Forge Iron

New Member from Cali

Grimjack

Hi all,

Just thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Kevin, living in the California Bay Area. I have just recently gotten interested in smithing and have taken a few classes with a CA blacksmith association instructor. I'm enjoying it alot, but also feeling a little lost. I realize it takes years to build skills, but I, like most of my generation, want to be good at things without practicing. I'm hoping being a member here will keep my motivation up and my frustration down.

I'm interested in all aspects of smithing, but would eventually like to focus on weapon / armor making.

Thanks for reading...

Welcome to the site! Yes it all takes time and practice , and you will never know all there is to know. I love working steel and am more than willing to take that time. Once the bug bites you you are hooked for life I think. You will become better every time you fire up the forge.
Finnr

Something happens every time you hit with the hammer, but you must learn where and how hard to hit. Blacksmithing is a craft and a skill. It takes time to develop the muscle, the technique, and the knowledge of the process, the tools, and the steels. And more time to know where and how hard to hit. (grin)

Hi Kevin, Welcome to IFI! I have a brother out there by you named Kevin, wish I could get him interested in blacksmithing. It is one of the best stress reliefs I have found. If you find yourself getting frustrated you may be trying too hard. By that I mean if no one has commissioned you to do the work you are making, the way it looks is... the way you wanted it to look ;) Blacksmiths don't make mistakes, they just change their mind about what it is they are making?
Give it time and let the metal show you how it is willing to move at each temp and with how much force and you will soon realize how to ''talk'' the metal into doing what you want it to.

Your location is listed as Hollister so I simply have to ask... What is the deal with the shirts a good 50% of the kids are wearing here in central OK? For those who have no idea what I am talking about, they all say Hollister, CA. Nothing else and in all kinds of stiles and no one I have ask can tell me why they picked that town to shape the fashion.)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Frustration was probably a strong word....its more wanting to be perfect without practice....impatience I suppose.

There is actually a whole chain of stores called Hollister.....Funny thing is it has nothing to do with the town I live in. The only claim to fame my town has is getting taken over in the late 40's by a bunch of bikers. They based the movie "The Wild One" with Marlon Brando off of it. We now have to suffer through a biker rally every summer. Sorry if anyone here is a biker and gets offended, but the whole thing is a pain for the residents.