I Forge Iron

KY, state of emergency declarted

Glenn

03:52 PM EDT on Friday, September 12, 2008

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- Kentucky's governor has signed an order declaring a state of emergency and invoking the state's anti-price gouging law as Hurricane Ike bears down on the Texas coast.

read more - click here

I have checked gas prices in KY at $4.50 and unconfirmed at $5.00 per gallon.
Here in WV they went from $3.75 to confirmed $4.05 in one jump.

20% of America's refining capacity is along the Houston Ship Channel. The hurricane looks like it will follow the ship channel right into Houston and beyond. Like the price of oil, gasoline prices are being driven by speculation. There is no shortage yet so why did the price jump? Because some people will use any excuse to make a quick buck.

Here in SW Virginia prices jumped from $3.55 to $3.99, the owner of our local station said he would be out by 7pm this evening and his supplier did not know when he could get more but it would probably jump another 80 to 95 cents per gallon if they could get it. If refineries are damaged tonight it could be weeks before we get fuel again

Gas was $3.95 in Grayson ky, this morning. We have a dozen convenience stores and 2 truck stops, and prices were pretty much the same all over town.
One station had run out of 'regular unleaded, but there were no lines for gas anywhere.Except for a few travelers, there wasn't much gas being sold at all!

I hope it doesn't get any worse. I've yet to hear how extensive the damage is from Hurricane Ike.