I Forge Iron

Greetings from Louisiana, USA

Casey27

Hey everyone, I'm a new blacksmith from Louisiana. I've been doing a lot of research online and on YouTube for the past couple years on blacksmithing (still have so so much to learn) and have finally begun my blacksmithing journey. For now, I am learning the basics and working on getting/making more quality tools. I have the basics, a mr volcano single burner forge, a 66 pound Doyle (harbor freight, cast steel) anvil, a bench vice, a recently acquired (but not mounted) post vice, some hammers, and a couple sets of tongs. 

My overall plan and goal is to have this be my full-time job, my more short term goal is to gain the skills and practice necessary to make quality and similar sets of hooks, steak turners, bottle openers, and other small items to begin selling online most likely through Etsy. 

If there are any other smiths around Louisiana, or west Mississippi feel free to reach out and potentially we can meet up and forge some steel! Thanks for checking out my post, and below will be some pictures of my rough shop setup. The image of my forge set up was from when I first started about 6 months ago, I have since updated and replaced the straps from my anvil stand, I was excited to get to work and that's what I had on hand at the time.

IMG_7256.jpeg

IMG_5902.jpeg

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming. Glad to have you.

If you are looking to make the craft you main source of income at some point in the future I very strongly suggest that you take some business courses, possibly at your local community college.  Running a successful business is a VERY different skill set than hitting hot metal.  There are many folk out who are very good at a craft or profession but really suck at being a business person.  It is a very familiar arc that a person is working for an employer and sees their labor being charged t much more thsn they re bring paid and decide to hang out their own shingle.  Very soon they realize that there is much more to running a business than they thought and they start neglecting that side of it because they don't like it and would rather be doing what they love and are good at doing.  Surprisingly soon they are back working for someone else.  This is true for crafts such as blacksmithing, plumbing, carpentry, auto repair, etc. and for professions such as law, medicine, and engineering.  I recently spoke about this with my dentist and he said that he spends about 1/3 of his time on the business side of his practice.

There are many benefits of supporting you and you family by running your own business but there are a lot of difficulties and harsh realities too.  For some folk one out weighs the other and it is the revese for other people.  That is not to say one is "better" than the other but if you decide to give it a go make sure that your eyes are wide open and you are making informed decisions.

For me, it has worked for keeping the craft a hobby that pays for itself and contributes some household income but I always kept my day job.

Spend some time browsing through the Business Side of Blacksmithing threads here on IFI.

I suggest that you look up and joing the Mississippi Forge Council or The Guld Coast Blacksmithis Assocition or the Louisiana Metalsmiths Association or all three.

I hope that you find the craft as rewarding as I have for the last 45 years.  It has helped me through hard times and made the good times better.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man! Comment ca va! Im in Louisiana too…just on the west side (lake charles). If you live out east there’s a club (Louisiana metal smiths) or something like that; there is a website. In the heal of the boot, there isnt too much, they’re was a guy in kinder that was giving some classes through the local college here a few years back…be he was an old guy…might not be around no more sad to say. I’ve not seen anything advertised anymore. Anyway sounds like we have the same interest at heart…tools and cooking utensils.lol recently made a tripod and “S” hooks for cooking….lots of leaf hooks, some punches, and chisels out of S7 steel…and a lawnmower blade camp knife! Its pretty ugly though.lol   Anyway nice to meet you…nice set up too! Im starting out too heres mine.

IMG_4189.thumb.jpeg.a9f4be183bbdfc413b511317b7af35cc.jpeg

IMG_4195.jpeg

IMG_0436.jpeg