I Forge Iron

Age of leg vise

windrustler

Hey y’all,

I have been researching trying to find out approximately how old my leg vise is. There are no discernible markings on it that I can find. The one thing that has been throwing me off is the mount. It’s sort of like a rams horn, but only has 2 mounting holes instead of 4, and is less curled. It appears to be original, to my uncultured eyes. 

I have read the article on anvilmag, (http://www.anvilmag.com/smith/107f2.htm), and it has the later style pivot bolt instead of pin. It also has the later style wrap around clamp instead of tenon. So that makes me think middle period to late period. I lean more toward middle period as all of the late period leg vises I have seen seem to have the diamond shape, 3 hole mounts. It’s really that different mount on mine that throws me off.

Anyone have any ideas as to the age of this beauty? And perhaps more information on it in general?

Thanks!

1001231856a.jpeg

1001231857.jpeg

1001231856.jpeg

1001231857a.jpeg

1001231856b.jpeg

1001231857c.jpeg

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

Post vises are usually unmarked with a few exceptions.  While age and manufacurer are nice to know IMO the really important thing is how well it works.  I wouldn't want to speculate on the age of your vise except to say that a lot of the vises our there were made in the 40 years from about 1880 to 1920 when many farmers and ranchers could order blacksmithing kits, including a post vise, from the Sears Roebuck or Montgomery Wards catalogs.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Welcome aboard Windrustler, glad to have you. 

There were so many leg vises made and are still being made pinning one to a particular time and make is virtually impossible. Pivot pins and bolts are wear items and were replaced when necessary. the old wedged pins were replaced by bolts, the bolt in mine is maybe 25 years old and I forged the bale. Pic below The mounting plates got lost and were frequently made on the spot, I figure that one would take an experienced smith easily less than an hour. If the mounting plate wasn't in the pile I would've made the bale long enough to twist into a mount like yours. Heck, I call mine a Columbian and it looks like one but there really isn't any way to be sure, a former owner could've just grabbed a mounting plate to mount the vise. You could use this plate on yours too.

The bale being choked up needing only a single wedge makes me think it was made for a lower post, table, etc. The one it's on is a bit too high so it's cocked a bit choking up on the bale even more. 

Dang, I seem to be forgetting to submit posts today, I must've written this 6-7 hours ago. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Foldingvisestand02.jpg.85959b3e71e23694c85cebbf6fdb4777.jpg