I Forge Iron

Montgomery Ward 230 welder

Kenny P

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains. If you don't have an owners manual, you can download one from here. I believe the 230 draws a max of 230 amps. I would go with a 50 amp breaker & # 8 copper wire. I'm sure Steve will be along to correct me if I'm wrong.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=20781

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

and here I come along lol

230 amps is OUTPUT not the draw. which would be more than 99% of what all houses have available.  According the the welders back plate I found on the internet, it draws 48 amps max, so connecting to a 30 amp dryer plug will work for most things, the 50 amp stove plug for anything it is capable of doing

What plug is on it now?

Electric Plate-1.jpg

If you google it, the NEC has a special table for calculating the required wire gauge for dedicated welder circuits.  You can get away with a lighter gauge since the limited duty cycle at high settings prevents heating the wires as much as a constant load would.  Of course, there's no problem with using heavier wire than required, but copper isn't cheap these days . . .

1 hour ago, Mike BR said:

You can get away with a lighter gauge since the limited duty cycle at high settings prevents heating the wires as much as a constant load would. 

This only works if you adhere to the duty cycle by watching the watch. The new welders have a cutoff when you get it to hot, but the old welders just start burning varnish. Ask me how I know.:D