I Forge Iron

Magic invisible hands!

N00b question. I see all these videos of the anvil where the smith has a hammer in one hand, a punch in the other, and somewhere off the camera they must have the end of the piece wedged in their crotch or something. How are they holding that end?

Yes, quite often they literally do have the piece, or the tongs with a tong clip, between their legs. Other "third hand" options are a length of motorbike (or similar) chain attached to one side of the anvil stand, layed over the piece on top of the anvil and down the other side to a weight, or a stirrup you can stand on; or an adjustable height work rest and a weight with a hook that you can hang on the work itself; or a holdfast in the pritchel hole of the anvil (if it has one); or a good post vise, if you don't specifically need to be at the anvil.

Cheers,

Jono.

Sometimes there is a helper holding the end but lacking that there may be either a stand supporting the cold end or a hold down on the anvil.  And, yes, sometimes you hold something between your thighs.  The helper is ideal but many of us do not have anyone easily available.  If something is too long I usually use an adjustable height stand if a hold down on th anvil is insufficient.  I was once making long candle holders to go on the ends of the pews at our church and I nailed a 2x4 across the legs of my bench to support the cold end while I forged the sockets on the anvil.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I have a hold down for my pritchel hole. I'm not excited about holding hot stock with my crotch, if only because my gas forge isn't very good for localized heat and I like my cajones non scorched. Maybe I'll look into options quicker than the hold down.

Also, I wear a non-split apron.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an S hook on the waist strap of my apron. The hook is sized to hold the long stock that a hold fast won't really work or when it's in tongs. The hook length holds the stock level with the anvil face. Of course for very long stock an adjustable floor stand is used.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails

Oh that is ANOTHER EMBARRASSINGLY obvious solution I didn't think of a long time ago! I think that'll be the first thing I make next time I'm in the shop. I'd do it tomorrow but it's my turn to go to the state fair.

Good idea Randy, thanks!

Frosty The Lucky.