I Forge Iron

Using satanite as mortar for kastolite

Refractory question. 
Relining my Mr volcano forge. I have satanite and kastolite on hand. Kastolite is rather difficult to apply in this case. Since satanite is a mortar, could I mix the satanite with kastolite to get it to adhere to the kaowool or could I apply the kastolite on top of wet satanite? 

Otherwise, I’ll just order greenpatch or plistix. (Any idea if one is better then the other?)

Kastolite is as or more sticky than Satanite so mixing the two won't improve that aspect. Worse Satanite is susceptible to borax erosion I don't know how much it would effect a mix. When I needed kastolite to flow I sifted the aggregate out with a fine mesh kitchen strainer and it became much easier to  spread and smooth.

Which Greenpatch product? Plistex is a known and proven product amongst us here. Greenpatch makes nigh quality products I've used one of them myself I just switched my preference to Kastolite 30.

Frosty The Lucky.

Kastolite is a significantly better forge lining than any of the others you are listing.  I sincerely doubt that mixing satanite with it will give it any additional bonding capability.  The key is learning how to install the Kastolite correctly.  As stated many times before, it is best cast as a monolithic shell into a form (not troweled or painted on in thin layers).  In my experience you should avoid any rapid transitions of crossection and stick to minimum thickness of around 3/4" for ease of construction.  I would be sure to properly rigidize the existing ceramic blanket, which will help keep it from getting compressed too much during the casting.  Then you just have to build an inner form to cast against.  I've even made these out of cardboard taped together.  It doesn't have to be amazing, just strong enough to hold up till the castable sets.  I would build an inner form and cast it on end (vertically).  Don't forget to leave a port for your burner.

Note that while kastolite will add to the forge's insulation layer, it will also add thermal mass, so the forge will heat up more slowly (but likely to a higher final temperature, if all is done properly).

I'll give that a try. I tried using it before and it just wouldn't stick. I've got a bunch lying around so might as well use it. Thanks for the help. I'll just use cardboard to make the inner form. Maybe 3d print a sort of frame for the cardboard.

It isn't really supposed to stick as much as provide a self supporting inner liner that the refractory blanket is packed around.  Just read up a little on how to install it.  The quantity of water needed is pretty critical, and a lot less than you would expect.  It also needs to dry slowly, over days, so wrap the entire assembly in plastic after the casting is tamped down into place.

That's why I thought of using satanite as sort of a binder between the two. Such as applying a thin layer of Satanite to the kaowool and then apply the kastolite on top of that while it's still wet. I'm just going to make a liner for it. Last time I mixed it, I used 13oz of water for every 5lbs.

We used Satanite as a first refractory layer, like Latticino said it;s not the best liner so we applied a coat of bubble alumina over the Satanite (similar to Kastolite ) and it was easy to apply after the Satanite was cured.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sails. ~ Semper Paratus